Swarovski z5 or z6

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by kielwhite, Oct 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. kielwhite

kielwhite Member

looking at getting a swarovski z5 or z6. Probably won’t be shooting past 500 yrds and having problem deciding if the z6 is worth the extra money thinking of 5-30. Or 3-18 thanks

2. Hand Skills

Hand Skills Well-Known Member

Honestly I have zero experience with the Z6. Always liked the BRH reticle, which is basically a Mil reticle. Z5 has MOA turrets and Z6 is mil. Optically the Z6 is supposed to be an upgrade too.

Prices have come down on the secondary market too, which opens up the options a bit...

3. KyCarl

KyCarl Well-Known Member

Sometimes more magnification is not what's best? At 500 yards or less the 3 X 18
    should be fine.

adk hunter, Hand Skills and Hatrick like this.
  4. Rich Coyle

Rich Coyle Well-Known Member

My only experience with a z6 was a 5-30X. A friend brought it over to do some low light testing. Its glass was not nearly as good as my Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X. When he saw that he said, "I always thought that was not a good scope." I had four z5 5-25X. None has glass as good as my 6500. He sold his and I sold mine.

The interesting thing is the z5's were better than the z6.

Popapi likes this.
  5. H2odoctor

H2odoctor Well-Known Member

I have the 3.5-18x44 z5 on my 25-06. I've taken groundhogs out to 475 yds. I tend not to care for scopes over 20x because of mirage issues.

I'd be hard pressed to spend the extra dollars for a Z6 when the Z5 does everything I've asked of it.

6. kielwhite

kielwhite Member

Ya that’s what I was thinking as well and nice to have lower power setting when going thru the bush for close range . Mahalo!

7. kielwhite

kielwhite Member

Thanks I’ll have to check those out

8. kielwhite

kielwhite Member

Thanks

9. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

You'd have more glass than you could ever appreciate and an extra thousand or more in your pocket if you just picked up a VX6 HD in 3-18x50 with a TMOA or B&C Reticle illuminated model.

Rich Coyle likes this.
  10. Jkling12

Jkling12 Well-Known Member

I agree with the vx-6hd or even the vx5hd. Great choices

kielwhite likes this.
  11. kielwhite

kielwhite Member

I have a vxl3 already only going off using a buddies z5 thought the swarovski was really good had a vortex viper pst 6-24 was worst money I spent

12. WildRose

I have a pile of VX3's that I like but they aren't in the same league as the VX6's I've been replacing the others with.

I did a lot of side by side comparing of them with my buddies Swaro's in Africa, he's a dealer, and he's selling a lot more Leupold's now that the VX6 and the HD's are out.

It would be worth both your time and certainly your money to give them a serious look.

kielwhite likes this.
  13. kielwhite

kielwhite Member

Yea I also like the leupold warranty that comes with it compAred to the swarovski warranty!

14. WildRose

That's for sure.

Where did you kill that pig? Are you hunting in Hawaii?