Nightforce ,swarovski, or zeiss

yes and no.

Checking them out in a store gives you a sense of their weight and feel. But it is impossible to get a sense of glass quality in a store, looking at some kind of stuffed animal "mountain" under artificial light. It is equally pointless to go out in a parking lot, even at dusk, with all kinds of stray artificial light all around.

To test glass properly, you take it out and conduct side by side tests under true hunting conditions with varying natural light. To do that you have to buy it or be an official tester.

And if, like the average person, you cannot afford to buy every piece of glass you are interested in, you need to talk to people who have them, and who have taken them out in the field under real conditions. But just looking at them in the store isn't going to tell you much. This guy always has excellent info: http://opticsthoughts.com/

And don't forget that these companies have premium and economy lines as well.

And as far as Zeiss, I like them a lot, just like you. I have 7 or 8 of them. 2 of their true alphas and a bunch of their economy conquests. None of their garbage terras, though. I also have Swaro (alphas), Kahles(best quality), Meopta(best and economy), and others. I used to sell it too.
I'm aware of this. I never recommend anyone look through them in the store. Like you said, everything will look the same. Where I used to work, we always took them outside and compared them. From the side of the road, you could look across the road and see 2,000 yards of fields with a large wood line in the back. That's where we compared them, with natural light sources (starts, moon, sun) and looking at natural environments...Sometimes even animals.

I won't own any Zeiss cheaper than a Conquest. I agree the Terras are not a true Conquest, and the quality is not up to true Conquest quality. For the money, not bad, but for that kind of money, I'd rather buy a Vortex. The REAL Conquests are excellent...I have a few of the older models. I also own a Kahles, and their glass is top of the line.

Last edited:
I'm aware of this. I never recommend anyone look through them in the store. Like you said, everything will look the same. Where I used to work, we always took them outside and compared them. From the side of the road, you could look across the road and see 2,000 yards of fields with a large wood line in the back. That's where we compared them, with natural light sources (starts, moon, sun) and looking at natural environments...Sometimes even animals.

I won't own any Zeiss cheaper than a Conquest. I agree the Terras are not a true Conquest, and the quality is not up to true Conquest quality. For the money, not bad, but for that kind of money, I'd rather buy a Vortex. The REAL Conquests are excellent...I have a few of the older models. I also own a Kahles, and their glass is top of the line.

For the most part I agree with you, as I usually do, and I don't want to split hairs.

But when it comes to an expensive scope, the counter top test or the parking lot test -by itself- just doesn't cut it. (to test glass in low light) Any store that is big enough to have a selection of quality glass is going to have lights, cars coming and going, etc. Too much stray light. In a case like that, someone might end up with the conclusion that a *** is in the same ballpark as an alpha. Hunting conditions are going to be different.

Absolutely, he should look at it in the store and get an idea of the quality. But then, afterwards, do plenty of research with unbiased individuals who have done tests and compared the same options side by side under real conditions.

That's what I would do. Before I dropped a couple of grand on premium glass. But hey, whatever. Ultimately it's whatever the person is happy with themselves. For example, I know people who "wouldn't touch" alpha glass because it's "too expensive" and their vari-xIII is "just as good", blah blah blah. That's fine. More deer for me. :)

I've heard that the SHV has similar glass quality to the Zeiss V4 and HD5 which is great glass for the money. Lots of different features between them. That might sway your vote. However, NF scopes are tanks both in respect to durability and weight. I prefer to go to the lighter side of the equation. I think getting a Zeiss V4 for a good price won't make you miss a Swaro Z5. Plus the features of the Zeiss are a better fit to the LR game like the NF. The Swaro Z5 does not appear to be designed for this per its specs. Each one of these scopes as its own trade offs.

of the 3 you mentioned, I own then Swaro and the SHV

Both are GREAT scopes!!! if I had to choose, it would be the SWaro, just because of weight.

I dial dope on the SHV and have custom BDC turrets on my SWaro's

don't be intimidated by dialing your dope. Its very easy and fun to learn, with the plethora of ballistic tables available, just borrow a chronograph.

Now, if all your shots are within 300 yards, you didn't say what caliber you're shooting but a solid shoulder shot should kill any deer sized game.
It is going on a 300 win mag.

Checking them out in a store gives you a sense of their weight and feel. But it is impossible to get a sense of glass quality in a store, looking at some kind of stuffed animal "mountain" under artificial light. It is equally pointless to go out in a parking lot, even at dusk, with all kinds of stray artificial light all around.

I totally agree with you but sadly, that's the closest to real-world experience I have for the OP's choices except for the SHV. Optical quality quality and clarity wise, I'd go with the Swaro, followed by Zeiss, then SHV. Swaro has always been in my wish list. We have quite a few Swaros in my household but none of them I can use for hunting and it belongs to my wife ... perhaps I can use that excuse on my next scope purchase. :cool:
;):D

I am trying to decide on a new scope for my 300 win mag. And have narrowed it down to A. Nightforce SHV 5 - 20 x 56
B. Swarovski Z 5. 5-25 x 52
C. Zeiss Conquest V4. 6 - 24 x 50
I already have an older Zeiss Conquest 4 -16, and I'm over all pleased with it, however I could use a little more magnification. I have never had a Swarovski or Nightforce. I understand none of these are really upper-tier glass, however I am really a holdover guy instead of dialing for distance, so tracking is not a crucial issue with me. All of these are in the 1000 to $1,500 price range that suits me, and they all have similar features and reticles that I want.

Does anyone here have experience with any of these scopes? If so what are your pros and cons with them?
I bought a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50, Swarovski z5 5-25X52, and a Nightforce 12-42X56. Comparing them on an optics chart at several yardages the z5 came in last every time. I will give only one example: 521 yards, Nightforce needed 12 1/4X, Bushnell 15 1/2X, and Swarovski 16 1/2X.

The Nightforce smoked them in lowlight.

here's another interesting argument about various brands:
http://www.opticstalk.com/nightforce_topic29116.html

I purchased two more 6500's and three more z5's. The 6500 in the information was the not as good as the other two. The z5 in the above info was better than the next two z5's. The forth was about the same as the first one. I was surprised that two of the 6500's and two of the z5's were better than the other scopes from the respective companies.

I really like my new V4 6-24. It's lightweight, glass is good and bright, feels good to get behind. The zero stop is solid, turrets are a little softer than my NXS and I wish it had the MOART reticle as the MOA 1 (Zeiss) is a little thick. Can't have it all for $730, but the more time I spend behind it the more I like it.
Where did you find it for $730 bucks??

I originally ordered an hd5 accidentally then shipped it back to trade out then Zeiss started their $100 promo... yadda yadda RHR swapped straight across for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.