Swarovski z3 BT vs leupold vx5hd

laker

Scoping a new rifle and am looking at either the Swarovski z3 with ballistics turret or a leupold vx5hd for a lightweight option for my lightweight rifle. I've owned a few vx5hd but never the Swarovski. How does the Swarovski compare as far as tracking? I'm assuming the Swarovski glass is better? Wanted to go nightforce shv but I'm not sure I want to put a 30oz scope on my ultralight rifle. Owned a Zeiss v4 and a vortex razor lht and wasn't overly impressed with them so they went down the road. Wanting a scope with exposed elevation turret and a zero stop and a capped windage

I have found this to be the most difficult question to get objective input on. Flattop provided a great response. I have limited experience with many of the scope options in your requirements, but the VX5HD I do have has been spot on for a lightweight and relatively inexpensive long range capable hunting scope.

Scoping a new rifle and am looking at either the Swarovski z3 with ballistics turret or a leupold vx5hd for a lightweight option for my lightweight rifle. I've owned a few vx5hd but never the Swarovski. How does the Swarovski compare as far as tracking? I'm assuming the Swarovski glass is better? Wanted to go nightforce shv but I'm not sure I want to put a 30oz scope on my ultralight rifle. Owned a Zeiss v4 and a vortex razor lht and wasn't overly impressed with them so they went down the road. Wanting a scope with exposed elevation turret and a zero stop and a capped windage
As an owner of all three scopes you mentioned, I have settled on Leupold's VX-6HD 3-18x44 (illuminated). It has all the features you are looking for plus a built-in cant (level) indicator. The glass clarity and brightness are better than my swarovski. Good luck.

I have a VX5 and it is awesome. I think if you want the very best product available for binoculars and spotting scopes Swarovski is the very best. However, of all the research I have done Swarovski rifle scopes just arent all the rage.

I've got both. I like the Swaro better, but you are limited to one turn of the turret due to their zero-stop design. The glass is better to me, and the tracking is really good. I have a MOA turret on mine and the 4W (I think) reticle so you have some wind hold reference point. I don't think the Swaro will make it to 800 yards on my 6.5 Creedmoor. The VX5 will make to 800 and it a full feature scope, the glass just isn't as clear and bright to my eyes.

I have owned all of the above as well. I now have (3)vx6 hd and (2)vx5 hd. Leupold uses the same glass on these. They are both way better to my eyes than the Swarovskis (z5's) that I have owned. I don't dial a lot but I have never had a problem with tracking. I also would not spend the money on the vx6 vs the vx5 going forward for my uses. The alumicaps are nice though.

I can't speak for the VX5, but I own multiple Z3 scopes and wouldn't rely on any of them for dialing. Most of the time (not all), the glass is fantastic. Save one bad apple, I feel the Z3s (and Z5s for that matter) are outstanding set and forget scopes. After owning a couple dozen vari-x-III and their successors, I feel the same way about Leupolds. Just my 0.02.

All of my light weight hunting rifles are topped with VX5s. Mostly because of the weight and cost savings. My experience has been very positive to this point and I would buy more if needed.

I have a Swaro 3-10 on one of my rifles and the rest Leupolds. To my eyes, there is no noticeable difference in the glass clarity. Most of Leupolds are VX 3's. fwiw