Swarovski 1500 LRF

Jimm

After much reading and more reading and .....oh well .... you get the picture , I bought a Swaro 1500 . It is a nice unit , pretty tough too as it fell ( was dropped /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) out of my high hide today, about 15 ft. or so. Of course I immediately checked it for proper function, whew ! a ok!

Used it on a recent pd hunt and was pleased with its performance as long as I understood what it was capable of. I will try to explain /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Very flat terrain at loooong range without substantial vertical mass is very tough to get a read. Compounding the problem is the fact that as the range increases you are picking up readings from things that are a lot closer ( bunch grass , etc. )It is not the fault of the range finder , they have to have a bounce back to operate. The Swaro was good to 6,7 800 according to the amount of "stuff" that was in the way. With verticals to range , it was good to way out there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif meaning a lot further than I was good to. I got consistent 1500 plus readings off of horses and cows if I rested the Swaro or put it on a tripod.

As someone has posted in the past regarding the eyeglass wearers need to place their eyes just so , I can concur on that situation . I can also say that with practice that becomes a small to nonexsistent prob. Folks that wear eyeglasses are for the most part aware of these type of things and adapt accordingly.

I have to say that using it has pointed me to the product that I would really like to have to fill the bill . So here goes , 10 to 20 power Binocs with 50 mm obj . with a a LRF built in, I'm thinking Leica Duovids that go from 10 to 20 power, with the LRF built in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif There a lot of things that can be done to solve this prob at lonoong range in verry flat country . First and simply , put out reflective markers when you set up at all the ranges you plan on shooting . If the dogs are skittish do it the eve before if possible . These markers can serve to give more than a " good read " with you LFR , they can also be used to talk someone to your next " victim " so that they can film , watch, verify as the case may be.

In summation , the Swaro is good as you would expect it to be , the short comings are /will always be there cause we want a better product /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyone have a specific ? , shoot me a email

Jim Brown

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.