Swaro Z5 zeroing issues

bramlett9

I'm sighting in a new Kimber Montana 30-06 at 100 yards, no problems. When I add my Griffin Sportsman suppressor (11 oz), my POI dropped 7 MOA. As I go to rezero my scope (Sworo Z5 3.5-18x44 BT) my dial maxed out 5.5 MOA short. I called Swarovski and they said to check the total elevation range and that it should be more than 232 clicks. I got 262 total, so no problem there. The only recommendation they had was to add a 20 MOA base. My problem is I can't wrap my head around this. If I add the 20 MOA base and rezero, wouldn't that only leave me with 14.5 MOA of total adjustment, not that I plan on shooting that far with this rifle? Seems to me like a scope with 56 MOA of internal adjustment should have somewhere around 28 MOA up and 28 MOA down. If this was he case I would have around 22.5 MOA left for yardage without a 20 MOA base.
Thanks

The scope comes centered. When you sited it in you used up some of that 28 moa up and now with the suppressor poi shift down you dont have enough adjustment up. With a 20 moa rail you angle the front of the scope down. Now to zero your scope you have to turn the adjustment down below the center point. This leaves more of the total moa travel to be used at zero or at longer distances

Goosepilot,
Adding the can shifted it down 7 and I was 5.5 short, so is it typical to use 26.5 MOA to zero a rifle at 100 yards? I can believe 5 or so, but that seems really high. My buddy has the exact same rifle and he can zero with a can using a Bushnell with only 40 MOA of total elevation.

Something is off. I bought an Athlon and 30 moa rail for a 10/22. Should have been able to dial to 4-500 yards. Could barely get to 200. Sent scope in and they sent me a new one. Im not home so dont know what they came up with, but must have been something in the scope.

bramlett9, is your Z5 fitted with the Ballistic Turret? If so is it possible that the Zero Lock reingaged when you were altering your zero after fitting your suppressor? I have had this happen when I have been zeroing a rifle, as I turned the turret I must have also turned the zero stop lock tab.

I made sure the stop was not engaged. I'm going to tinker with it tonight with my bore sight laser against the wall at 20 yards

Pretty sure I found the issue, and of course it seems to be my fault. The action is an 84L but he rings are 84M. Hopefully that'll center it more. What's up with their naming conventions? 84, 8400, 84M, 84L...oh well

I'm sighting in a new Kimber Montana 30-06 at 100 yards, no problems. When I add my Griffin Sportsman suppressor (11 oz), my POI dropped 7 MOA. As I go to rezero my scope (Sworo Z5 3.5-18x44 BT) my dial maxed out 5.5 MOA short. I called Swarovski and they said to check the total elevation range and that it should be more than 232 clicks. I got 262 total, so no problem there. The only recommendation they had was to add a 20 MOA base. My problem is I can't wrap my head around this. If I add the 20 MOA base and rezero, wouldn't that only leave me with 14.5 MOA of total adjustment, not that I plan on shooting that far with this rifle? Seems to me like a scope with 56 MOA of internal adjustment should have somewhere around 28 MOA up and 28 MOA down. If this was he case I would have around 22.5 MOA left for yardage without a 20 MOA base.
Thanks
I would start with the suppressor opening. see if there is a copper streak on the top of the opening to show the projo is striking the top of the opening. this is the only way I can account for the 7 MOA shift in POI from no suppressor to having a suppressor attached. I have seen it before. something is off, the threads, the body or end caps. something is warped or not right. this is an issue caused by the suppressor. rule out the suppressor FIRST then work on MOA offset bases and such.

Can looks good, everything was tight and it was printing a 4 shot 1 MOA group at 100 for the first group i've ever shot with a 7 lb rifle. Won't be 100% sure it was the rings until next week. Even with the can off, wasn't anywhere near the middle of elevation adjustment

Just checked with my buddy and he also has 84m rings, so not likely he issue as they seem to fit fine and a heavier can and his POI adjustment is only 3 MOA, so I may have more than one issue. He has a Bushnell Elite 4500 and has 10 MOA up w/ his can. I'll have to start eliminating components one by one

Thanks

I think you are thinking just the opposite of what is going on. Starts in this video at about 2.20

Thanks
Hate to be the bearer of bad news. But if you by a cheap suppressor your POI will change significantly. If this happens then that suppressor will be dedicated to that gun. Yes I know it sucks cause suppressors are not cheap. When they sell those thangs they need to put in big bold letters " THIS SUPPRESSOR WILL CHANGE YOUR POI " Their are suppressors out there that don't effect POI and they are only cost a little more. Sometimes they are even less expensive.

Thanks

I had the same problem with a Z5 a couple years ago, it was taking a ton of adjustment to get me to zero, on a 6.5x284, I couldn't dial past 500, which is clearly a problem. I tried the scope on several other rifles and I still was working well into the top end of the adjustment to get to a zero. I sent it back to Swaro and they sent me a new scope, they never said exactly what the problem was, it there was clearly an issue. I believe that scope was a 2015 build, it that is helpful at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.