Swaro z3 + Talley lwt issues

You may have the ring/bases mounted wrong. When I usd Talley's on a rem 700action there is one base that is ever so slightly thicker than the other so I had to call Talley because it wasn't clear on how to mount them. Please don't hold me to this because it's be a while, but I think the thicker base mounts to the rear of the gun with the two longer screws, then the thinner base on the front of the action towards the barrel with the two shorter screws. Check that, you may have them flip flopped.

Ok so I pulled the scope and lapped the rings again. Now all the finish is removed from the inside of the rings. I put the alignment rods in and it's better. Probably less than .001 of "run out" if that term is applicable?

I put the scope back on and it feels better but i can still feel a difference when I torque the ring down vs it being loose. I can live with it, but my new question is will it damage the scope if i leave it as is?

I personally would throw those rings in the trash, something doesn't seem right with all of that lapping. When I used Talley's I recall them saying no lapping required, if they lapped that much maybe they are defective.

Yeah that's probably what I'm going to do. I may try the burris signature zee rings or just go with the old standby Leupold steel dovetails

I have had great luck with the Burris Signature Zee rings. Couple things though... They are steel and the finish isn't that great and can rust if in a real wet environment. The new XTR Signature rings are aluminum. So weight and rust shouldn't be an issue, but I have not used them. They should resolve any issues with scope alignment without having to lap anything.

It may be that the base holes on the top of the action are kinda out of alignment. At this point, with the amount of material removed, the Talleys might slip. Just have to shoot and find out. I would try to get things working though so that the scope adjustments did not bind at all.

After a disaster with Leupold QR bases and rings that ruined a new March scope I will never use Leupold again. I have fitted at least 20 sets of Burris Signature Zee rings in 1" and 30 mm and I have had no issues with them at all. All my Swarovski scopes are mounted in Burris SZ rings as the thought of marked scope tubes is more than I can stand.

Lol thats what my thought was when i spent even more to buy the lapping kit. Thankfully it seemed to work as far as avoiding ring marks. Now i just hope i havent done any internal damage to the scope.

+1 for Burris Signature rings, I've used both original and the XTR(6screws per ring). Running the XTRs on 2 X5s and a Z5. NO binding and the inserts ensure that you never have a mark on the tubes. Tops are aluminum & I ceracote the bottoms along with the pic base.

@Farmboy- no rail, ring and base are one piece.

@Barrel nut - i searched all over this forum for an applicable thread with someone in a similar situation but i found nothing. Ill have to look again. I understand that the rings are putting torque on the scope thats literally the only thing thats touching the scope so its the only plausible explanation. My question is what can i do? I already lapped the ring as much or slightly more than the instructions suggest. Im afraid if i do much more the top half of the ring will make contact with the bottom with out placing any grip on the scope.

Prehaps i just need to take the hit on the talleys and move on to my old stand by leupold dual dovetails?

You have LONG way to go to remove all the clearance between the top and bottom halves of the Talley Rings. I don't believe you have lapped them nearly enough. I tend to lap to the point where lapped metal is showing completely around the upper and lower halves.

I don't use the commercial lapping kits, I use drill rod and Clover lapping compound myself. You may have through hole alignment issue on the rings or the receiver tapped holes but I doubt it. Bruce Talley holds his dimensions very well. All I use are his rings. I learned a long time ago that the more movable parts between the scope tube and the receiver, the more chance for poor alignment and things getting wonky down the road.

Ok so I pulled the scope and lapped the rings again. Now all the finish is removed from the inside of the rings. I put the alignment rods in and it's better. Probably less than .001 of "run out" if that term is applicable?

I put the scope back on and it feels better but i can still feel a difference when I torque the ring down vs it being loose. I can live with it, but my new question is will it damage the scope if i leave it as is?
You have LONG way to go to remove all the clearance between the top and bottom halves of the Talley Rings. I don't believe you have lapped them nearly enough. I tend to lap to the point where lapped metal is showing completely around the upper and lower halves.

I don't use the commercial lapping kits, I use drill rod and Clover lapping compound myself. You may have through hole alignment issue on the rings or the receiver tapped holes but I doubt it. Bruce Talley holds his dimensions very well. All I use are his rings. I learned a long time ago that the more movable parts between the scope tube and the receiver, the more chance for poor alignment and things getting wonky down the road.

Hey so i did lap the rings a lot more a couple days ago. The problem got better but the power ring is still binding some. I really like these rings/bases and i wanted to use them on this rifle. Unfortunately they are going in the trash.

Not trying to hijack this thread but I'm having the same issues I inadvertently started a new thread on it. I actually did mark the scope tube on my z5, don't think I did any internal damage as everything still seems to work fine but I'm now rethinking the Talley rings. Hopefully all I did was cosmetic damage but time will tell.

I have Talley's on all my other rifles with zero issues, even when this same scope was on a different gun (Tikka). So at this point I'm not sure if its the gun or the Talley's causing the issue (this is a Remington action)

I dont know what the issue is either but its definately a problem. The talleys currently reside in the local landfill. I put on burris signature rings with the windage adjustable base, like the leupold but with the plastic inserts. Now my scope functions properly and i dont have to worry about ring marks so i guess im happy but i do really like the talley LWs and wish they would have worked on this rifle

I installed the scope today in a DNZ game reaper. No issues, perfect alignment all screws torqued evenly to spec.

Problem solved.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.