SW MT gopher hunt

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
Last weekend we took the families down to Dillon MT for a few days of shooting gophers on my Uncles ranch. Wind was up a bit keeping them laying low, but still plenty out to get some great shooting.

We had picked up a couple of .17 Hornet rifles last year for shooting gophers. I have always just shot .22lr. But as the ammo got harder to get and more expensive I felt we needed to look into a reloadable cartridge. I researched center fires and came up with the .17 Hornet as the most viable option. Most economical for the result. Only 10g of powder to run a 20g bullet in the 3700^ velocity range. Everything else wants nearly three times that much powder for not a lot more performance.

I am so glad we chose the .17 Hornet. I can never look at a .22lr the same again. It was almost not even fair. 200 yards and in was done deal. I was shooting a CZ 527 with the varmint barrel. These rifles have a factory set trigger that is terrific. The only thing I didn't like was the clip and the feeding. A bit stiff, but for the price of the rifle I can live with it. The Hornet in the 15-20 mph was generally no more than edge of gopher inside of 200 yards.

We were using factory Hornady ammo with 20g Vmax, reloads with 20g Vmax, and Hammer Hunter 20.5g mono's. We designed and cut a 100 of the Hammers just for this trip. We had not tried them before we left, so we did not know if they would work or not. We had designed a .17 cal earlier but it did not pan out, so we scrapped it. We shot the 1st day we were there and then that evening we headed into my Uncles reloading room and through together a load of 10g Lil Gun with the Hammer Hunters. This load was very mild at only 3450 fps over the Magnetospeed. We left it there as we did not have that many with us and wanted to shoot them at gophers, not load development. We could definitely pick up the velocity and will in the future.

The next morning we took the newly loaded Hammers out. They shot to the same point as the Hornadys so we did not need to do any changes to our scopes. We never shot any at paper anyway, they were within moa of gopher, which is all we really cared about. The next question we were not sure of is how the pure copper bullet would work on two inch thick targets. They worked just like the Vmax, gopher pieces going air born. Really fun!!

All in all a great trip. A few thousand rounds shot with family and friends. Lots of dead gophers and happy birds.

Very happy with the results of the newest Hammer Hunter varmint bullet. This bullet will be available as soon as we get smaller copper stock on hand for cutting them.

Steve

Sounds like a lot of fun. Just for fun, did you try to stretch it out beyond 200 yds? The .17 Hornet sounds like fun. I like the economical aspects of it too. Thanks for sharing. Bruce

Sounds like a lot of fun. Just for fun, did you try to stretch it out beyond 200 yds? The .17 Hornet sounds like fun. I like the economical aspects of it too. Thanks for sharing. Bruce

Oh yea. But not with anything other than Kentucky windage. We were just having fun shooting. I think you could be pretty potent with the .17 Hornet out 400y easy. When I mentioned the 200 yards, we zeroed at 100, and could basically hold on the gopher to 200 and make the hit.

Steve

Been shooting a lot of .222 Remington lately. Easier to find the components for it than .22 LR ammo. mtmuley

I somehow have missed the .17 Hornet. Interesting, we shot this week with .17HMR, and really for rat shooting leaves the .22lr behind, another 1000fps with a hornet should be quite the ticket.

What scopes are you using?

I somehow have missed the .17 Hornet. Interesting, we shot this week with .17HMR, and really for rat shooting leaves the .22lr behind, another 1000fps with a hornet should be quite the ticket.

What scopes are you using?

I put a Nikon Monarch 5.5-16 on mine. Pretty much ran it at 5.5 all the time so as to not have to focus for distance. Much faster that way. I put an old VX2 on my Uncles, 3-9x.

The .17 Hornet is way fun. After all these years of shooting .22lr, it almost doesn't seem fair.:D

Steve

No wrong way to kill a rodent gun)

I love the .223 for splat factor-but tough to beat .17 HMR for cost when feeding multiple rifles, and it was pretty effective.

I pulled Leupolds off other rifles, and the ATACR 5-25 on the .223.

Hopefully I will get a chance to head down to Dillon again this spring and shoot again. Next time I would like to settle down and try dialing for longer ranges. Have to do it with a smaller firing line. Too fast and furious. If you don't get your shot off someone else shoots it for you.gun) Bears open next weekend though.

Steve

........Too fast and furious. If you don't get your shot off someone else shoots it for you.gun) Bears open next weekend though.......

I was mostly spotting, and RO duty. I got 2 youngsters with video game speed. 5 young ones topped the mound, and they gunned them down like one of those dueling post targets. Right, Left, Right, Left and the last guy picked up a double. Less time than it takes to tell it. I was pretty impressed.

Nice, RMM! Nice way to spend some trigger time!! The .17 Hornet rocks as an efficient GS cartridge. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.