surplus load data

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by renegadelzard, Oct 27, 2010.

1. renegadelzard

renegadelzard Well-Known Member

hey all,
    any of you guys use WC 846 and willing to share your data?..im looking for loads for the 243-100gr gamekings, 308-168 gr nosler custom comp, 30-06=150 gr SST's, and 30-30-150 hornady round nose.....any help you guys can give is appreciated...

2. Shane G.

Shane G. Active Member

I have about 16lbs. that I picked up a while back. Mostly loading it in .308 with 155 Amax's and 175 sierrs's.And also some 168 noslers.

I have read to cross reference it with BLC-2 and start 10% lower.

I was running my 168's at 42.0 grn. and 41.5grn. getting a little over 2600fps. 155 Amax's are loaded with 46.0grn. and running right around 2900 seated right to the lands.

175 SMK's i ran a little hotter at 42.7grn to get to 2600fps. All these loads were in Rem.,Win, and PPU cases.

All these have been fine in my Savage. I would work up a little at a time as I didn't back off the BLC-2 data enough when I loaded some 178's and had to force the bolt open and pulled about 40 rounds that were too hot.

As far as .243 and .30-06 you can look at Hodgen's website and go to their reloading center and find the BLC-2 data,but just remember to back off 10% and work up slowly.

I have also played with it in .223,.22-250,.270 but didn't keep any data.

Again I would work up on all of those loads or any BLC-2 data. I have also shot a few groups with the 168 Berger VLD's that were pretty much one ragged hole.

I have also seen that with the 846 and Ramshot Tac I get within 40-50 fps with the same charge weight and look damn near the same. Not saying they are the same or that you can use that data but just what I have seen.

Again the loads I posted work well in MY gun so do back off and work up. heavier brass will make a big difference I have seen.

What rifle and barrel length do you have?

3. renegadelzard

the 308 is 26", soon to be chopped to 20 inches..it has that annoying habit of being damned near accurate, and i think a shorter stiffer barrel may help it out a bit...if not, im gonna switch it to a bergara with a barrel nut

my 223 is wearing a 16" Dez arms bull with 11 degree target crown, no brake..im running 25 gr of ram shot exterminator through it, pushing a 55 gr midsouth varmint nightmare...1-2 inch groups a 100, but very inconsistant...im pretty sure it could do better, but i think the biggest problem is the 8lb trigger..

the 06's are both 22 inch..my abolt has a wonderful trigger on it, but the mossberg atr is the most accurate rifle i have ever shot...cloverleafs at 100 yards...something breaks on the stock every time i shoot it, but when i shoot it, its a bell ringer..

i havent picked up any surplus powder yet, but i figured it was 40 bucks cheaper than varget, so i might try it...i hear it is pretty temp sensative..you ever notice this?

4. Shane G.

Shane G. Active Member

Yes I have a little bit but this was on some warm loads that stuck the bolt when temp jumped to about 95.

Gonna try some of the same loads I shot a few weeks ago again tomorrow and see if I get any difference since it's cooler now.

5. renegadelzard

let me know how it works out...imr 4064 is my current powder for 308 and i noticed some dramatic changes..like 12 inches at 100 yds...temp difference was close to 40 degrees...it was either that or my 18 month old son and unlocked target turrets...lightbulb