Surface rust on rem 700

I disagree with most of the posters so far. These rough phosphate finishes are well known to rust like this and it's super easy to see who didn't know how to take care of it when their gun rusted. Do not remove the rust or attempt to clean it. It will look like hammered dog poo if you aren't super careful. Oil will only hide the rust somewhat, not stop it. To convert that rust into something that will protect the finish and stop the rusting dead you need to boil it, in water. Distilled water is the best, get a good black finish. This IS how rust blue is done. It will look good when you are done. After that oil it heavily and wipe the excess off, it won't flash rust nearly as bad if you do. You can wax at this point also and it will do a good job of slowing down how fast it rusts. If you want it to stop rusting completely paint it. Satin black looks great on these, and the paint will seal the surface so that water can't get into the finish and rust it. Krylon works great, easy to touch up and it's cheap. It's been about as durable as the non-baked gun specific coatings for me as well.

This is a relatively new (probably last 8 years or so) Remington 700 that I recently picked up used. It shoots incredibly well. I took it hunting yesterday and it spent 20 minutes in the rain, and then sat in its case for about 5 hours afterwards before I got home. I have never seen so much surface rust so fast, or from such little exposure. Is this just an example of Remington metal quality? Or do we have some gnarly rain in my parts? My 60's era BSA majestic got soaked for 7 hours the same day and cased for the ride home and was clean as a whistle upon uncasing.
Remington 700s and Browning duratouch adds up to better than 50 percent of what we coat. Cerakote it and forget about it.

Recent Posts