Surface cleaning after blasting

Foster_65

after blasting with aluminum oxide or glass beads is complete, how do you clean the stainless to ensure all the media and powder is removed. i have heard some soak in citric acid ?? others soak in degreaser in prep for cerakote. since i wont be applying any finishes or coatings, do i need to do anything? just blow out with compressed air and maybe degreaser/ carb cleaner in some areas?

I use acetone before ceraKote but if you are just blasting with no final finish, just use compressed air on surfaces

If you are close to small areas or critical clearance areas then definitely use a cleaner to make sure all grit is gone

If the media was used on anything other than clean stainless, I would clean with degreaser. Contaminants from the media could cause tarnish.

I could be way wrong but if I screwed up plugging areas before blasting I'll spray everything with an outdoor water hose (aluminum oxide gets everywhere), blast with a strong air compressor, heat it all with an old hair dryer on a hot setting, then blast with a quality brake cleaner while touching only places I won't be coating.

I've only duracoated about ten guns though. Not a pro, barely a novice

If it's not prep for coating, who cares?
Blow it off with compressed air.
I take a can of brake cleaner and hose it down first (any dust/residue washes away with it) for Ckote prep, but air alone is certainly good enough.

I just wipe down with solvent after blowing off the grit. It will also show off any spots that may have a lighter hit with the beads.

Cheers.

I missed the Alox part...
You don't (IMO) want to use Alox on a stainless barrel unless you're coating it. You want to peen the surface- not etch it.
Stick with glass beads.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.