Bead Blasting

Lost creek

What kind of bead blasting do you guys do on stainless steel barrels, muzzle brakes etc.that looks like the finish on stainless steel factory guns.

Glass beads make a burnished finish similar to some stainless factory rifles. 70 grit aluminum oxide media is more aggresive and makes a dull, fairly smooth finish. Silica sand (sugar sand) is more aggresive when fresh and makes a dull, fairly coarse finish that gets darker in a few months. For a nice uniform finish you have to remove all machine and turning marks first.

Hope this helps, Tom

Most of the factory finishes I've seen seemed to use very fine glass beads, there are different sizes, and minimal air pressure. I once did a Ruger Blackhawk at high pressure with coarse beads, and it came out almost identical to Rugers Target Grey finish. I has to sand that one back down and wire brush it instead.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts