Bead blasting Stiller action?

nctta

I want to bead blast my brux barrel and Predator action to match. Is there any reason I can't blast the Stiller action because of a coating that is on action?

I've done it many times without issue. Even bead blasted the action body on some and left the bolt coated. I'm not a fan of the black oxide coating they use, so all of my personal rifles that I used the Stiller action on, I bead blasted and CeraKoted.

Pretty sure the predator actions are melonited so the only draw back would be it won't be black anymore. The melonite process leaves a hard surface with about a .003" thickness, so unless you have a seriously HD blaster that will remove .003" of metal, you will be GTG.

The Tac series is black the Predator I have is silver but the stainless looks like it might have some type of coating. I actually want to soda blast because I like the flat matte look it leaves.

Yeah I can call Russ tomorrow and find out but I wanted to do it today while I had free time. I thought someone would post the answer based on experience. Thanks Joel!

It can be blasted off. I had a TAC 338 blasted by them (Stiller) before it shipped. Seems like it would be easier for them not to coat it, then blast it off, but they coat all of the TAC actions. It costs $25 from them.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.