Bead blasting a blues rifle

klemm

I have a Remington 700, action and barrel are blued. Gun is pretty rusty. Can I be adblast/Sandblast to remove the bluing. Will I not have just a stainless receiver and barrel at that point. Any pros or cons to doing this. What would I put on the bare metal to prevent it from rusting. I was planning on putting some type of coating on it.

Not a good idea. The barrel and action are made of chrome moly and will start rusting immediately. If bead blasted it needs to be coated with Ceracoat or Gun Coat or something like those two.

Not a good idea. The barrel and action are made of chrome moly and will start rusting immediately. If bead blasted it needs to be coated with Ceracoat or Gun Coat or something like those two.

Immediately for sure. I had a rifle in for Cerakote and the shop blasted it before coating , but had a family emergency. He returned two days later and found rust on the chromoly action/barrel here in dry Arizona.

Even if you'd just spray paint it, don't bead blast until you are ready to paint. De-grease it completely before 'painting'. No 'paint' will stick well when applied over an oily or greasy surface.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.