Suppressor Shift and torque

A A Ron

Has anyone experienced poi shift with a suppressor that changes based on how tightly the suppressor is torqued?

I have a new Chimera 300 with ASR brake. It is changing poi up to 10 inches at 100 yards if I screw it on very hard and tight. If I screw it on only snug and lock it only changes about 2 inches. Groups are still very good at either torque.

I checked the asr brake and mount contact points and cleaned them. Didn't appear to be a problem. Checked the baffles no damage. I also have a hybrid 46 that I shoot on this rifle. It did not do this.

My theory is that the new Chimera must have an unsquare surface. The harder it is torqued the more it pushes the poi off. But the bullet isn't touching anything so it must be really messing with the harmonics.

I would like to keep the asr system because the suppressor moves around to different host.

In one of the Surefire videos, they state that they have observed a measurable bore constriction when going much more than 30 ft/lbs of torque with their muzzle devices. Not sure if this applies to your situation, but something to keep in mind

The fact that you put a different can on the rifle, and it didn't do it... would suggest a problem with the suppressor. (which is common)

I put my thunderbeast brakes on to 125ft lbs. Pulling against threads properly, does not constrict the bore. Even if it did, threading it causes the muzzle to grow in diameter, so it would be nice if it brought it back down to spec anyway. ;)

Some suppressor manufacturers struggle with accuracy/precision and the repeatability of their mounting solution. Thunderbeast is not one of those... but there are MANY that do. Point in fact, most suppressor manufacturers products are not adequate for use on precision rifles.

The internet is absolutely jammed full of people complaining of accuracy issues with their ASR mounted cans. So this is not a unique problem. Early in my career, I had all kinds of these types of problems. Then I found the taper lock system that Thunderbeast uses. From that moment on, I replaced every brake I had with the TBAC CB's. Now I use the NTB's on everything, since they just came out with that. The NTB is muzzle device perfection for suppressor users.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Thanks for input.

I reached out to Silencerco, but haven't heard anything. I have heard good things about thunder beast.

Given that one does it and one doesn't I think I will ask Silencerco to replace the asr mount on the can. I was surprised because my hybrid 46 is on and off all the time iand s perfect repeatability.

Still curious why because the asr is also a tapered shoulder.