Suggestions on how to break in my barell?

I have done my barrels many different ways. In the early days, I would shoot and clean after every shot for 20 rounds no matter what.

Around the time of my 4-5 rifle, I would shoot and clean after each one for up to 5-7, then after every 3. I've used Butches Bore Shine, KG, Warthog, Montana Extreme, Wipeout, you name it. They all work but what really cleans your barrel is a lot of elbow work.

2-3 wet patches with a Lucas bore guide, bronze brush 10 strokes. 2-3 wet patches, bronze brush 10 strokes, and so on until patches appeared clean.

Some barrels took longer than others. Easiest to clean so far with fewest shots was Obermeyer 308 5R rifling, then Lilja 3 groove .277, then PacNor. Most stubborn was first Hart, .277.

My favorite cleaner is warthog.

I have done my barrels many different ways. In the early days, I would shoot and clean after every shot for 20 rounds no matter what.

Around the time of my 4-5 rifle, I would shoot and clean after each one for up to 5-7, then after every 3. I've used Butches Bore Shine, KG, Warthog, Montana Extreme, Wipeout, you name it. They all work but what really cleans your barrel is a lot of elbow work.

2-3 wet patches with a Lucas bore guide, bronze brush 10 strokes. 2-3 wet patches, bronze brush 10 strokes, and so on until patches appeared clean.

Some barrels took longer than others. Easiest to clean so far with fewest shots was Obermeyer 308 5R rifling, then Lilja 3 groove .277, then PacNor. Most stubborn was first Hart, .277.

My favorite cleaner is warthog.

I use butches bore shine. I did a similar process. This was my first barrel break in so it was a learning process. Id run down a wet patch then a wet brush the send patches down it til they came out clean.

Creedmoor, you mentioned the use of a bore guide. I really like the Mike Lucas two piece bore guide. Look him up on line, just give him a call. His guides are custom made for a specific make, caliber and keeps your cleaning rod off the lands which prolongs barrel life. Lucas will recommend a specific model cleaning rod for the guide. Good luck

Thanks dosh but kinda too late lol! How much will a bore guide save on barrel life? does anybody know?

Re: Suggestions on how to break in my barrel?

Thanks dosh but kinda too late lol! How much will a bore guide save on barrel life? does anybody know?

One of the worst things you can do is clean a barrel from the muzzle. The cleaning rod wears the crown and hurts accuracy. some cleaning rods come with a rod guide for cleaning rifles that have to be cleaned from the muzzle.

A bore guide does the same thing for the throat, lead, and neck of the chamber.

cleaning without something to keep the cleaning rod from rubbing on this part of the chamber
can also reduce barrel life especially in the throat and lands.

Bore guides should be used every time the rifle is cleaned. For the field, where it is impractical
to carry a cleaning rod I recommend the use of a bore snake or something with a rope pull through.

It is never to late to start using a bore guide to save your barrel any more wear.

J E CUSTOM

One of the worst things you can do is clean a barrel from the muzzle. The cleaning rod wears the crown and hurts accuracy. some cleaning rods come with a rod guide for cleaning rifles that have to be cleaned from the muzzle.

A bore guide does the same thing for the throat, lead, and neck of the chamber.

cleaning without something to keep the cleaning rod from rubbing on this part of the chamber
can also reduce barrel life especially in the throat and lands.

Bore guides should be used every time the rifle is cleaned. For the field, where it is impractical
to carry a cleaning rod I recommend the use of a bore snake or something with a rope pull through.

It is never to late to start using a bore guide to save your barrel any more wear.

J E CUSTOM

I did use a rod that had a bore guide and i did do it from the muzzle. Was this a no-no even though i did use the bore guide on it? Like i said its a learning experience for me. My dad did the same thing with his rifle and has absolutely no problems with accuracy.

I did use a rod that had a bore guide and i did do it from the muzzle. Was this a no-no even though i did use the bore guide on it? Like i said its a learning experience for me. My dad did the same thing with his rifle and has absolutely no problems with accuracy.

It is not recommended to clean any rifle from the muzzle end if it can be cleaned from the breach.

I personally don't put anything in the muzzle of a accurate rifle, Including a bore site.

Many even go as far as to brush only one way (Out) and un screw the brush before pulling the rod back through.

The crown is the last thing that can have any influence on the bullet and should be taken care of.

It would be very hard to tell any difference in the effects of cleaning from the muzzle, But on a rifle that will shoot groups under .050 thousandths any loss in accuracy is felt.

Some of this may seem Anal but if ultimate accuracy is the goal it can make a difference.

J E CUSTOM

It is not recommended to clean any rifle from the muzzle end if it can be cleaned from the breach.

I personally don't put anything in the muzzle of a accurate rifle, Including a bore site.

Many even go as far as to brush only one way (Out) and un screw the brush before pulling the rod back through.

The crown is the last thing that can have any influence on the bullet and should be taken care of.

It would be very hard to tell any difference in the effects of cleaning from the muzzle, But on a rifle that will shoot groups under .050 thousandths any loss in accuracy is felt.

Some of this may seem Anal but if ultimate accuracy is the goal it can make a difference.

J E CUSTOM

I understand perfectly what you are saying. Every thing that can affect accuracy should be avoided because it does add up eventually.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.