Sudden pressure signs

Grizz1148

why would a load suddenly have bolt lift issues? Same load that I have shot the last several days, built on the same equipment, same dies, same brass, same bullets, primers, powder same type (retumbo) but new bottle. Double checked scale to be sure it was calibrated, pulled a bullet and weighed charge to be sure and it actually came out 2/10 under for some reason but less anyway. Any ideas?

if charge didn't weigh exactly what you expected then id say scale issues

there are other possibilities , but since you know you have at lease one issue ... fix that first

Same bullet lot? I have seen bullets of the same weight by the same maker change in BTO length between lots. Some as much as .020". Which could put you into the lands depending on you previous jump distance. That would definitely cause pressure changes.

Powder lots can easily change pressures, but Retumbo should not be too far off.

Barrel need cleaning? How many rounds? Carbon ring or badly fouled barrel will cause pressure.

Primers from the same lot?

Same bullet lot? I have seen bullets of the same weight by the same maker change in BTO length between lots. Some as much as .020". Which could put you into the lands depending on you previous jump distance. That would definitely cause pressure changes.

Powder lots can easily change pressures, but Retumbo should not be too far off.

Barrel need cleaning? How many rounds? Carbon ring or badly fouled barrel will cause pressure.

Primers from the same lot?
Just cleaned night before firing, shot it yesterday and the day before with no issues

Did you shoot it over a chrono to check to see if velocity climbed as well?

Powder lots can definitely run hotter lot to lot.

Is your load close to max ? I found same thing with Retumbo but I am running close to max load. Big cartridge. If your charge is 100grs then 1 or 2 percent is not alot of powder. I myself am recommending backing off 5 percent or more with new lot powder at close too max load. New to me.

It is near max and it is a big caliber. 338 lapua. I was obviously going to back it down anyway but thanks for the info. Didn't know lot to lot could vary enough to cause this much extra pressure.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.