Sudden pressure signs

Hi everyone,
I hope someone can help with my pressure issue.
First off the rifle is:
7MM STW
28" Lijja barrel.
Trigger tech trigger.
NDT ESS chassis
Scorpion optic.

I built this gun around the Berger 195 EOL.
Using data provided by Berger.
Info received for IMR 7977, 7828, and Retumbo.
I have no issues with 7977 or 7828 and have developed insanely accurate loads. However, with these powders I have pressure signs in the mid range of load data.
My loads were developed over the winter (-35-40C) where midrange still produced pressure.
My load for retumbo was also midrange for the data provided (76.3g), I am not up against the lands (40 thousands away), and this load worked best.
Now it is much warmer, about -20. I was shooting and blew out primers (scary). So I backed off and even made some test rounds at 0.5 grains below the minimum load suggested by Berger (74.5). Today, (-14C) I started with the less than minimum load (74.0) and again blew primers; actually had to hammer the bolt open. The pressure slammed back the ejector pin and snapped off the keeper pin so that it is now lodged within the bolt (thats okay I single feed anyways). I was under the impression that retumbo was not too temperature sensitive. I have also backed off the lands another 10 thousandths of an inch (now shorter than bergers COAL).
Any ideas??
My only other thought is with resizing my brass. I only neck size, and I am on the 4th reload. Could this have anything to do with it?
Please help!

As a response to my original post, I found that the powder was not the issue. Ended up that this particular batch of brass had not had the case lube properly removed. I have since loaded the same load twice with no pressure after cleaning lube of the cases. Originally I must have missed this step. Thanks for all the input.​

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts