Sub 6 pound 1000 yard rifle?

I would look at the 6.5 SAUM, my first choice personally. I would also personally put a titanium action in McMillan with edge or Manners carbon elite using an extended internal box and ADL trigger guard. Mate that titanium action to a 24" fluted Bartlien 2b with a Vias brake. Chamber using the old GAP reamer with .120" freebore and try 130 JLKs @ 3250+ with 63gr of H1000. 6 mils to 1000 at sea level, you can still use the Talleys.

Just my opinion, but if a 6# rifle would get it done on a consistent basis @ 1,000 yds, why the hell would everyone be building and toting 10# to 14# + scope rifles? The answer is "They Do The Job Much Better".

Just my opinion, but if a 6# rifle would get it done on a consistent basis @ 1,000 yds, why the hell would everyone be building and toting 10# to 14# + scope rifles? The answer is "They Do The Job Much Better".

Heavy is only necessary for the majority. The reason light is not in is there are not enough people presently interested in light and long range. Give the people who have money a little time to get older. My mountain rifle was an eleven pound twenty-eight inch barrel Klienguenther K14 7-.300 Weatherby. Now I use a six pound thirteen ounce, including scope, rifle with a twenty-six inch barrel.

I think we ALL know you can get a short titanium action, put a carbon wrapped barrel on it in a Mcmillan Edge, throw away the bottom metal and get **** close. But for obvious reasons some of us chose not to advise it.

It's hard to decide what you want and need. The only way to do is by getting a few hard knocks and practice. Then you will truly know, what ranges you need to shoot, in the environment you hunt in, and the trade offs you are willing to make to have a good chance at that 1K shot, after climbing that big mountain.

Maybe you can shoot a 6 lb rifle at an elk at 1k with out shooting him in the *** and watching him run. If you can, good for you and by all means go commision one of the light weights mentioned above.

But if it were me, I would test the waters first before spending money on that one do it all rifle. There seems to be a trend lately where new shooters ask for the one lightweight do it all rifle, so they can by just buy it, shoot to 1k and be done with it. In reality it is not that easy.

I suggest getting a mid weight long range rifle, practicing, and working on physical and mental stamina. It will get you a lot further than a 6 lb. long range rifle when the moment of truth comes.

For a seventy-one year old I am in very good shape for hiking up and down hills. My present under seven pound rifle, while testing primers, put three three shot groups into .8 at 100 yards on the same target. Each of the three shot groups was between 3/8" and 1/2". But they were overlapping. Because of my personal velocity limitation I would not shoot at game beyond 600 yards. A one minute rifle should be good to at least 800 yards. Of course that is not 1,000 yards.

I think the vast majority of hunters have no idea how far 500 yards is, much less 1,000.

Indeed, I have no idea what 1000 yards looks like. I also doubt I'll ever try a shot at an animal at that range. But I do like the idea of having a gun that's capable of a 1000 yard shot because that should mean that the 800 or 600 yard shot is that much easier. And who knows if I saw a huge buck at 1000 yards and couldn't close the distance and had the gun and the training for it and the conditions were right, maybe I'd take the shot. But that's a lot of "and"s.

Before I bought the Tikka ultra lite and got a load dialed for it I may have answered differently. There is a Sightron 3-9 mildot scope on it and I have to dial it down to 4.5x to get past 675 yards with the 30-06 and 168 Amaxes.
This rig has put holes in milk jugs at 1000 yards and taken a quite a few critters inside of 500 yards in the couple years I've owned it.
BUT
It was a bitch to get a load developed for and it kicks like a mule!!!!!!= Not my fun gun just my get-r-done gun.

I would personally build off the kimber you have already,the triggers are great and easily adjustable the action and stock are very light so there won't be much or any gain by going to a titanium and McMillan edge or similar stock,proof research are great barrels I do have one but a little pricey(you can buy 2 ss barrels for the same price= more practice)a quality barrel and some action work if needed will defiantly help your cause.Personally I would go with a 6.5-284 or an ackley in 270,280 or 30/06and a 26" barrel length in the factory contour or a contour one size larger(best option)it will still be close to the 6lbs. It won't be easy going to 1000 but it's not impossible,practice and technique will make you more consistent.Hey and at the end of the day If it doesn't work out,you will still have a great pack rifle win/win.

I actually have one of them, and 1k is probably the absolute limit on game. Short action pierce titanium, McMillan edge, rem sporter not fluted at 25 1/2". Chambered in 6.5 slr, but a guy could do a straight 260 or 260 ackley. I make my brass out of 308 lapua Palma, and step on it a tad. Rifle is 5lb 13oz before optics. The lightest, capable scope I chose was a mark ar in 4-12. The rifle killed an antelope at 922, a few deer closer, and one deer mid 8's. These light guns don't point well if you're on them at all, so I picked a smallish cartridge that can shoot well under it's own weight. I shot a lot last summer and fall, and the rifle will print groups at 1k in the 4-5" range for 3 shots. Sometimes better, but don't count on it. I actually shot it at our 1k benchrest match last August in the 11 lb class. Those were 5 shot groups and mid day conditions, the group's wet 11 and 13 if I remember correctly. What I was more interested in was where would I put the first sighter in the sighter period. To my delight, both relays it was well into the blue, the 13" middle area. Not easy by any means.

Tom
I high lighted this so posters could see what a world record bench rest shooter would use .As point of interest,which I find interesting.The way you go through guns Tom, do you still have your 338 LAI,or the 300 NMIMP? Because I might have to get in line to buy one,Ha.This one sounds great a shooter like the others.See you soon

Shawn,

Yea the 338 is still around. What I don't have is an in between weight gun. I had a 30, but couldn't handle it without a brake. That's when it dawned on me, why do anything but a 338 if I have to deal with a muzzle brake? Probably do a rum repeater at some point in a middle weight. You need to get out with me and shoot the little turd gun though. It's pretty easy to shoot, shoots good, and you can spot yourself on a bipod.

Tom

Recent Posts