Stock Marks

rogerstv

Are these marks on the stock common on a build. Appears sloppy to me.
20190905_101555.jpg
20190905_101602.jpg
20190905_101628.jpg

yes they are sloppy, not common -- looks to be they "over" inletted the guard/magwell and used bedding compound to fill some of it, and gaps in other places-- some people will bed the guard/bottom metal, but it should be a nice tight fit when done

don't list the company that did the work as this would become a rule 7 violation thread --good luck

Last edited:
yes they are sloppy, not common -- looks to be they "over" inletted the guard/magwell and used bedding compound to fill some of it, and gaps in other places-- some people will bed the guard/bottom metal, but it should be a nice tight fit when done

don't list the company that did the work as this would become a rule 7 violation thread --good luck
looks like a seven year old had hold of the cutter.

I figured a competent smith would not turn out work like this. I won't list their name. It is my first custom firearm. Bought second hand. Not happy with it at this point. The rifle won't feed shells correctly. Accuracy is less than my Tikka 3X and factory loads.

If I can get it to feed and shoot well, I will care less about the sloppiness.

I will make every attempt to work it out. Had I been provided load specs along with the firearm, dies, brass, and bullets, the loaded shells presumably would have cycled out of the mag into the chamber. "Out of the box" accuracy. And, I would have been ecstatic.

Instead, I'm left finding COAL on the www for a non-sammi load. My reloading attempts at shorter than published lengths, but are too long for this firearm and don't cycle properly. This leads me to look for the problem thus finding the shoddy work. I may never have noticed it.

Hopefully, I report back on a positive note in a couple weeks.

I'm wondering if the previous owner may have "worked" on the rifle? Either way, I would contact the builder and see if he will own up to, or deny the shoddy work...I have bedded stocks and modified in letting...not professional , but a lot better than this.....feel bad for you....in the future, trust, but verify...ask a thousand questions, by e-mail....this way it's in writing....sorry for your experience...rsbhunter

I'd venture to guess the mag well is either too deep or too shallow thus causing feed issues. Could be in at an angle too. Canting too far forward or back changing the feed approach to the chamber. Mag wells have to be precise. Id take it out of the stock completely and look it over. If the outside is that bad I imagine the inside bedding is just as bad.

Just send it back! I wouldn't accept work like that and sure wouldn't try to pass it off on someone else! Remember that "feedback" can help.
I know it's a little late but...Get home address and phone number and a 3 day inspection period. All correspondence in writing! If the seller won't agree to all of these..Blow him off ..he's up to something! Spend your money elsewhere!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.