Stock for Browning Abolt

Snowrun

I'm in need of a stock to fit my Browning Abolt with a #5 PacNor contour. McMillan is not working out & Bell & Carlson tells me nothing bigger than a #4. Any suggestions?
Thanks

You can buy the B&C and have the barrel channel opened up.

I opened up the B&C Medalist Classic on my custom 700 .30-06 AI to fully-float a Sendero barrel. You should be fine with the #5 contour.

08E06F65-2152-40EC-8BCC-7FBB2543B2C6_zpsnz6fjtrj.jpg

Thanks MudRunner, the 700 stock must have more material in the fore end. B&C told me no larger than a #4 for that stock.
?Maybe she was mistaken, I'll have to research a bit more.

Thanks MudRunner, the 700 stock must have more material in the fore end. B&C told me no larger than a #4 for that stock.
?Maybe she was mistaken, I'll have to research a bit more.

Probably the same, but a lot of companies will tell you things like that, so you'll have to buy either a more expensive model, or because their employees don't want you to modify it, or because the employees simply don't know, and are only going by what they were told.

If Browning could offer the A-Bolt Composite Stalker with a nearly full-bull Christensen Arms carbon fiber bull barrel with nothing more than an opened barrel channel in their factory cheap thin Composite Stalker synthetic stocks, then, I think I think you will be alright opening up the barrel channel on a B&C Medalist. :cool:

I found this image on google, for you to have a visual comparison...

12219900_1.jpg

If you are interested in a laminated thumbhole stock, Stockys has the Apache stock that will have plenty of room to open up. I am in the process of rebarreling an ABolt with a #4 Bartlein to go in that stock. Their #4 will be slightly larger than the PacNor #5. I would be able to squeeze it into the factory factory stock if I wanted and I bet the Bell and Carlson should work as well.

Thanks for the info guys. After working with it last night, I may be able to make the McMillan work ok
The rear tang sits too high, supposedly because it is actually a Sako stock that they make.

Have a look at Boyds Rifle stocks web site. They make laminated stocks for the A bolt, they might be able to make it the specs. you need.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.