Stock Choice for Heavy Sporter build

Bronc1

I am building a 300 win mag heavy sporter with a #3 Bartlien which weighs 3.5 lbs. I have not ordered stock or action yet. I am wondering what a stiller predator action will weigh with BDL hinged floor plate? I am I also looking for input on stock choice whether I should by a Mcmillan or Manners. I entertained Grayboe but it starts getting the weight closer to a Sendero. I want a gun I don't mind carrying on long walks through timber, up mountains and badlands.

Either one will do them in the lightweight versions.

I think the key is balance. Heavy barrel and light stock makes for awkward carrying. I think the difference in weight between the light and normal is about 10-12 oz.
I have a few Mcmillans and they are like 2.5 lbs. One with a Sendero contour is heavy in the front and therefore "balance" is awkward. I think the difference made up in the normal stock version adds to stability while shooting.

Good luck.

Can't go wrong with either one!
You will wait longer for the mcmillian than you will the manners.
I own both and I cant personally tell the difference however I have a killer
Gun smith or builder. My 300 win mag has a manners T5A thumbhole stock
And I can probably say it's my most favorite Rifle I love it.

Don't hesitate to go with manners

I'm partial to the McMillan A3 Sporter, but with that barrel you could go with a Game Scout or Game Hunter, which is a quarter pound lighter.

The Mcmillan Game Warden is a pretty sweet stock if you like the palm swell and butt of the tactical stocks but want a more traditional fore end. Lead time for my build was about 5 months from time of order, so be prepared to wait...

I have switched almost all of my rifles to a game scout, some standard and one edge fill. They fit me perfectly and the weight is just right for my style of hunting and shooting.

Can't go wrong with either one!
You will wait longer for the mcmillian than you will the manners.
I own both and I cant personally tell the difference however I have a killer
Gun smith or builder. My 300 win mag has a manners T5A thumbhole stock
And I can probably say it's my most favorite Rifle I love it.

Don't hesitate to go with manners

Man, I waited for my Manners stock for about 9 months. EH1-A. I ended up getting a hold of Tom Manners himself and he took care of me, great guy to deal with.

I was looking at the adjustable McMillan game warder for my next build, If I have to wait longer than I did for my Manners I don't think I will go that route!

If you can wait the EH1 is a sweet stock. That would be my stock of choice if I could get one fairly quickly. Adjustable Game Warden from McMillan would be the next choice.

What about a solid alloy chassis stock , I don't think anything beats them for rigidity and lasting ability .

I bought a Mcmillan game hunter with edge fill recently. Light weight is what I was after. Stock came in at 27 ounces. I picked this stock because of the higher comb height and hoping that it would give me a good cheek weld without adding anything. The stock ended up fitting my scope ring combo great. Barrel is a #3 brux and it balances well.

I was given a 5 month lead time when I ordered but received it in 3 months.

Probably no where near the level you guys are at, but i just built a Remage with a heavy sporter 26" 7mm Rem Mag and put it in a Grayboe Outlander with a Stocky's M4 hinged bottom metal and it shoots lights out and is extremely well balanced. After talking with Ryan McMillan through email, he thinks I got an earlier version with a .250" recoil lug slot, which fits my .250" recoil lug like a glove. It's an amazing stock for what I paid, plus no waiting.. Not good at the waiting game.

SHM

I am building a 300 win mag heavy sporter with a #3 Bartlien which weighs 3.5 lbs. I have not ordered stock or action yet. I am wondering what a stiller predator action will weigh with BDL hinged floor plate? I am I also looking for input on stock choice whether I should by a Mcmillan or Manners. I entertained Grayboe but it starts getting the weight closer to a Sendero. I want a gun I don't mind carrying on long walks through timber, up mountains and badlands.

I am building a very similar rifle. Stiller Predator action and Bartlien #3 barrel. On the Stiller website the action weighs right around 2#. The finished barrel I will guess comes in around 3# plus the weight of the muzzle brake. The bottom metal weight will depend on what it is made out of. For a stock I am going with a McMillan Hunter in the Ultralite fill which weighs around 26-28oz. I am guessing that my rifle will end up around 8lbs before optics.

I am building a very similar rifle. Stiller Predator action and Bartlien #3 barrel. On the Stiller website the action weighs right around 2#. The finished barrel I will guess comes in around 3# plus the weight of the muzzle brake. The bottom metal weight will depend on what it is made out of. For a stock I am going with a McMillan Hunter in the Ultralite fill which weighs around 26-28oz. I am guessing that my rifle will end up around 8lbs before optics.

I am shooting for an 8lb bare rifle. I think I am going to put a VX-6 3-18x44. The bartlein #3 weighs 3.5 lbs @26in unless you flute it. Thanks for the info

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.