Stiff Bolt with Reloads***Help Please**

GByrd

Hey guys,
I am having an issue with some 223 reloads in a Savage model 10. The reloads are set to spec per OAL, and all measurements I can measure are in spec...however, on closing the bolt with a dummy round there is a lot of resistance.

At first I saw rifling marks on the bullet, it was set to 2.260..I moved it back to 2.250 and it is no longer on the lands but it is still very stiff. The bullet is a Hornady 68gr BTHP, Lake City brass, lyman dies.

I colored my dummy round with a magic marker and ran it in the gun and I see no impacted areas...So I'm stumped.

If there is any other information I can give you please let me know. I have plans to go to the range tomorrow and it's an hour and a half away so I'd really like to get this fixed tonight if its possible

Thanks,
Garett

If the bolt is not that stiff on an empty chamber, I would make sure your sizing die is set up correctly. The shoulder may need to be bumped back.

Did you try screwing your die down more? Have the lake city brass ever been fired in your rifle or is this the first time? If your lube is powder compatible the lube then inside of the neck. If that brass was fired in a machine gun then it could be way oversize due to the generous chambers .

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.