Help with OAL Gauge Please

datsjeep

I have the Hornady lock-N-load OAL gauge I am using to determine where the lands are on my T3 270 WSM. I have read as much as I can but I am still a little unclear. When I chamber the dummy round and start to feel resistance moving the bullet forward I assume what I am feeling is the throat. When the bullet comes to a stop is that the Lands?

I have used this tool on a couple other guns and I don't feel the same amount of resistance in the throat area, the bullet just comes to a stop. Could this be because the Tikka is a tighter throat then the other guns?

If this is correct it appears the throat is .167 total depth with an OGIVE measurement of 2.405. With my magazine I will have a minimum jump of .064. Does this seem correct?

Hopefully this makes sense.

I think what you are "feeling" is the resistance of the bullet traveling in the neck of the case.
I use some never dull to "slick-up" the bullet or use a brush inside the neck to make it "slicker". This way the only thing I feel is when the bullet's ogive contacts the lans. You want to do away with as much resistance as possible.
Now, this may mean that your bullet will stay in the chamber, no biggy, just tap it out with a cleaning rod. Just make sure you tighten the lock screw before disengaging the lans.
Take at least half-a-dozen readings with different bullets of the same lot to ensure you are getting a consistant reading.
Good luck,
Ray

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts