Steyr SSG 04 Rifle oppinions please?

RangerBrad

I am somewhat interested in these rifles but have never even heard of the brand before. They are touted as very accurate. How do they measure up to other factory rifles and how would they compare to a custom rifle? What would be a fair price for one? What is the up side and down side of these rifles? Any info good or bad is appreciated. Thank's, Brad

Steyr rifles are extremely accurate systems for factory fodder.. When I was "getting paid to pull the trigger" my assigned weapon was the Stery SSG PI, which I still have to this day.
They are a cut above most of the other factory rifles in terms of quality, options, and accuracy. However that comes with a price. Most are priced in the $2,000 range.
I don't believe you can compare them to a true custom rifle. The Steyr is a complete system, as a custom rifle is culmination of sourced parts selected by you to attain a certain goal.
If you don't want to put the time and effort into "building" the custom rifle, then hand over the jack, buy the Steyr, go shoot it, and be happy.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.