Steiner Scopes?

17Fireball

Are Steiner scopes any good? All I ever hear are guys talk about Nightforce. I see Schmidt and Bender being used by top shooters. However, zippo about Steiner. I do hear some about Zeiss as a hunting scope but I am perplexed with the lack of discussion about Steiner.

I used to be a purchasing agent for a company and we considered carrying them but never did because the price point and their lack of popularity. They are really good scopes from what I have heard (you get what you pay for), but I have no other experience with Steiner other than with their binoculars which are top-shelf.

Over at Sniper Hide I saw that Steiner tactical scopes were becoming quite popular. The Steiner Predator Extreme line of hunting scopes are also quite good, but the reticle choices are limited to on (plex S1).

Greetings! I am currently sponsored by Steiner as a precision rifle competitor. I've been using the Steiner 3-15X50 since about July and it is a great scope! I've actually just completed a fairly big review and eval of my scope for publishing here on LRH.com. I'm not sure if they'll get around to publishing it this month or next, it is pretty long with some decent pictures.

I can answer any questions you have about these scopes. Even though I am sponsored by Steiner, I'll not blow smoke where the sun doesn't shine just to get you interested in one. These scopes perform exceptionally well. For reference, I've owned US Optics, Vortex Razors, and currently have a few NF NXS and F1 as well as Mark 4's and now have two of the Steiners.

Geb

Thanks, Gebhardt. I look forward to reading your review. Just trying to wrap my head around how they are similar and dissimilar and compare to Nightforce and Schmidt and Bender.

I think you'll like the review then as I compared the Steiner 3-15X50 directly to a NF 3.5-15X50 F1 and discuss most of the features between these two scopes. There was only one feature on the NF that I preferred over the Steiner, and I've been using NF scopes for several years now. I'll let the review explain everything.

Geb

The Steiner scopes are First Focal and the 3-15X50 MSR goes for around $3000. I have had great service from Mike at CS Tactical in the past if you want to check out his web site for a price comparison. Steiner

The newer 5X erector system scopes are the ones I have experience with.

Geb

Not to be disagreeable here but NF scopes hold quite a few world records. you don't have to spend that much to get a scope that will get the job done. I would think all told, with Steiner, you are getting a little better glass.

Nope, nothing wrong at all with a NF, I own and use three of them. But comparing the features between two like scopes, the Steiner has some really cool features that set it apart. I address all of those features in the review. Each person looking at these two scopes, the NF and Steiner, can then evaluate whether those features on the Steiner are worth the additional cost. I'll continue to use my NF scopes, they are a very well built scope.

Geb

I have the 2.5x10x42 Predator Extreme. For the money nothing comes close in my opinion. The only thing i don't like your stuck with the S1 reticle. I just don't like it. A Mil Dot or MOA reticle would make it unbeatable.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.