Steiner scopes

bob4

I've been a swaro fan since I got my first. All but one have been used and bought through this sites classifieds. In the market for a new scope. A Steiner is going to present itself, I do not know which scope it is yet but the gentleman knows what I'm looking for so I'm sure it's specs are similar to what I want. The reading I'm doing in general doesn't look favoring. Poor tracking clarity and such. I'm wondering what the general consensus is on Steiner quality. Not concerned here with price point.What becomes real important to me is light transmission. A lot of my best shots are at dusk+. Another Z6i 5x30x50 would be my 1st choice but don't always come up on the used market.

Depends on which Steiner model you are looking at. The M5xi series is German made and top quality. Glass is excellent, tracking is perfect, and they are pretty much bullet proof. The T5xi series is American made and had some serious issues when first released. Tracking was off, but Steiner redesigned the turrets, which seems to have fixed that issue. There were complaints about glass clarity on some units and the reticle not being centered, or the reticle being "grayish" colored instead of black. I'm not sure if those issues were fixed to the satisfaction of everyone.

Long story short, if it's an M5 series scope, you'll be good to go. They are fantastic in every way. If it's a T5 series scope, your mileage may vary. With the newly designed turrets on the T5, the tracking issues seem to be cured, but I don't know how the glass compares to an M5 or a Swaro.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.