Steel or aluminum Base/Rings?

Shimloom

I have Remington 700 BDL 30-06 which I am putting a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 mil dot scope. Don't think I will be taking shots over 300 yards. Does it matter which material you go with for longer shots?

Regards,
Craig

You might try the search function in the optics forum, I did a search "steel vs aluminum" and got 104 results. took less time than posting this.

Bob

Wow, my first post and not a single bit of help. Oh well, guess i'll try another site.

I (like many others) remember my first post as an introduction to this site (and got very warm welcome) not asking for help right of the batch followed by unsatisfactory comment. :rolleyes:

As Bob nicely noted use the custom search; it's an excellent tool yet very under utilized.

Good luck on your endeavors at another sites.

Whatever you choose will work...aluminum is lighter, structurally just as strong. I have used Weaver AL bases and rings for almost 50 years on my Rem 700 7mm mag with excellent results.

For a 300yds gun the standard Leupold 1 piece base and dovetail rings should work just fine.

The Heavier one piece rails are what most of us use for LR rigs because it helps add a bit more stiffy to the action and allow us to swap scopes and such out very quickly and easily if we need to.

If you go that route the TPS TSR Rings are what I'd recommend.

Vortex Optics is making their own rings now and they are pretty good too from my limited exprerinece with them.

Well if that's the case he probably wasn't going to be happy here long anyhow, its not like we're Len's customer service dept where you would expect, rightfully, someone to respond instantly to any query.

L:DL!

Attachments

• thumbs-up-sign-thumb8413541_zps85645168.jpg
    thumbs-up-sign-thumb8413541_zps85645168.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 13
I like a Steel Picatinny Rail, since my action is steel, and Aluminum Rings, since scope is aluminum. Has always worked well for me, and it is so easy to switch scopes from gun to gun.Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts