aluminum or steel rings

destroyer

Is there any big advantages over the aluminum over steel rings other than the weight. Im looking at trying the mark 4 rings and bases. Thanks

Hi Coues,
Durability is the factor here and on that steel rings and bases win hands down.
Although some manufacturers say their rings are hardened, this is usually a surface treatment which does not stop the material underneath distorting.
I use MK4 steel rings on my 300WSM, what calibre of rifle are you using? Is it a boomer? If not you could use aluminium rings quite successfully.

Ian.

Let me add another perspective - almost all scope tubes are an aluminimum alloy. Steel and aluminimum expand at different rates.
The aluminimum rings are as strong if not stronger than their steel counterparts.
Go to Sinclair International and look at the scope rings available, most are aluminimum and these are used by some of the best shots in the world, yes mostly from benches, but on some pretty big boomers. US Optics has an interesting blurb on this very issue. Go to the following link, page 133 for their take.
http://usoptics.com/pdf_files/bases&rings.pdf

I'll be testing the new Burris Xtreme rings on my three 50 BMGs (and my 375 RUM) using my massive NightForce scopes soon I can can get 3 pair ( 27 June 05 ). I expect these AL rings to do fine with my big Boomers.
tacticalrings1.gif

At less than $40 pair, I can't see paying more (assuming they work)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.