Steel/glass bed a tikka t3 varmint?

dukesbb37

i have a tikka t3 varmint coming in soon, and i think im going to try and add weight to it and glass bed or steel bed her.

I have heard because of the recoil lug (plate) you cant glass bed it? anyone tried? and will it make a difference? thanks.

I also have a Tikka T3 varmint in .223 and no I have not found the need to glass bed it. Last weekend I shot 4 100yds 3 shot groups using Sierra BK 40gr for .76", .33", .76", .33" and finished with a 3 shot group at 200 yds for .76".

If you wish to add weight I suggest you put some lead in the hollow stock butt. Take off the recoil pad, get some ball fishing sinkers and put them in. You can make up paper tubes to put the lead balls into then insert the tubes. This way you do not have them rattling around. You will add about 1.5 - 2.0lb this way. This is what I did and the groups above are what it shot. You could also add an adjustable cheek piece which I did. The check piece that comes with it was too low for me.

Hi

Im on my 2nd 7mm RM T3 Camo as the buddy I loaned it it to has shot 2 sambar stags with it and found it difficult to return. He bought me a new one instead as he didint have time to develop a load and sight her in.
I have also owned a 300wsm in a sporter 300wsm so be assured they shoot very well.

My last 7mm barrel wasnt as smooth but is coming along nicly after around 30 rounds. No complaints from me..

All of them with some tweaking in sporter weight can shoot 1/2 MOA...3 shots from a sporting barrel. not bad as its not a heavy profile.. I was playing with SST's 162gn and 62.5 gn of RE19 which gave me what I what I was looking for. In a Varmint prifle rifle I'd say I would be the problem in attaining better groups.

Why bother? Yep I understand what you mean as the lug isnt fixed .. but I can assure you there is no movement as tolerances are very high. Add a limbsaver and some decent mounts.

I'd option up for the set trigger if you prefer lighter than 2lbs.. Ernie the gunsmith in the US has a varmint spring avavilable which takes a few minutes to install which helps lower it under 2lbs. No issue with the pull now in a sporter

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts