States where Burris Eliminator is illegal?

Straight out of the montana regulations, It is illegal to use night vision equipment or electronically enhanced light gathering optics or thermal imaging eguipment for locating or hunting game.

I guess I am ignorant to this scopes features. What feature violates the regs as stated above? Sounds like it's referring to electronic light gathering really, and I don't see where this scope has any thermal or light gathering capabilities. This doesn't sound any different to me than using a scope and range finder separately.

I honesty am not familiar with this scope of MT rules...

traight out of the montana regulations, It is illegal to use night vision equipment or electronically enhanced light gathering optics or thermal imaging eguipment for locating or hunting game.

I don't see anything in this quote that disqualifies the Burris Eliminator from being legal. It does none of the aforementioned things outlined above.

Straight out of the montana regulations, It is illegal to use night vision equipment or electronically enhanced light gathering optics or thermal imaging eguipment for locating or hunting game.
None of that has anything to do with the Burris eliminator, it is a normal optic with a rangefinder, there is no light gathering enhancements in it.

It has a illuminated aiming point so is that not enhanced. Is a scope a light gathering optic. To me it's just like sight pins on a bow it's illegal to have lighted sight pins a reticle or dot is no different.

Last edited:
It has a illuminated aiming point so is that not enhanced. Is a scope a light gathering optic. To me it's just like sight pins on a bow it's illegal to have lighted sight pins a reticle or dot is no different.
It says "enhanced light gathering" this optic has no light gathering capability beyond a regular optic. Your taking the word enhanced way out of context!!
If it was the same as the bow sight regs it would simply read the same but the header says " Night Vision and Thermal Imaging Equipment" the Burris is neither night vision or thermal imaging!

If your read the bow section carefully the section on electronic devices and artificial light for the sights are only illegal during the archery only season or areas, you can use lit bow sight during general season.

The issue I see, unless you can get a letter from the DNR or wildlife agency, from the enforcement division, stating that said optic is legal..then if there is even the slightest doubt, not going to use it.

Yes the courts may rule in your favor, but that is time and money and they will most likely seize the firearm in question and suspend your hunting rights until it's settled thru the courts...how much does a hand held range finder and smart phone weigh?

I made a call to the Kalispell office this mourning, secretry wasn't sure there were no agents in so I called my local agent and left him a message we shall see. I will post his answer as soon as I get it. Personally if it were me I would get the answer straight from the horses mouth. Not trying to start an argument it's just the way I interpret the the law this spring I will be going to the F and G meetings and suggest a clarification on reticles or dot in scopes that are illuminated whether legal or not.

Well I just got off the phone with Capt. Lee Anderson of the kalispell office. He said an illuminated reticle or dot was legal as long as it was inside the scope if a dot or anything like that projected outside the scope it's illegal. We talked about some clarification in the law for next year's regs. so I will bring that up this February when they have there meetings around the state. My interpretation was off, but I try to error on the side of caution so if I confused somebody I apologize.

I do not see how the eliminator is illegal in MT. It is not a night vision or electronically enhanced light gathering scope. It is a scope with a built in range finder and ballistic computer. All light taken in is like a normal scope.

Yep. I asked the IDF&G if they were legal for varmints and was clearly told "NO".
UPDATE
Game laws are complicated. I visited with the Idaho Fish and Game today and mentioned this discussion and that I had note that a IDF&G employee had told me that the Burris Eliminator was illegal even for varmints in Idaho. I got a confused look back and we went looking for regs and the resident firearms expert. Both told us that my previous answer was wrong. The Burris Eliminator is only illegal for BIG GAME in Idaho. It is LEGAL for small game and varmints. Sorry for the confusion.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.