Starting out with .270 Winchester

friendlyfireisnt

I am on the verge of trading for a Rem. Sendero in .270 Winchester. I know it's not the ideal cartridge for LR hunting/target work due to the smaller selection of rounds available for it, but it seems like it would work well for mid-fairly long range work.

Right now, I am trying to figure out a good 'starting point'. For my .30-06, a starting point was pretty easy, there was so much data out there. Took only 3 bullets, and 2-3 powders and I ended up with 2 solid, accurate loads.

I just don't know where to start. SST? Accubond? 4831? 4350?

Obviously, every rifle is different, but what has been successful for maximum accuracy, and decent velocity?

Thanks in advance.

Nothing wrong with a 270. Probably overlooked most of the time, mostly due to the recoil. Buy a limbsaver or similar first.

My Rem 700 likes the 150 gr Hornady bullets at 3000 fps with H4831. Hovers just over 1" groups at 300 yards. Interestingly enough, this is not a max load, but it is near max in my rifle.

The 270 Win is not a problem for LR for any thing from deer sized animals on down. There have also been plenty of elk sized animals taken with the proper hit at some really long distances.

A great powder choice is RL-22.

Use non-magnum primers i.e., CCI-200s

Start in the low 50s area w/the powder and work up. I stopped at 58.5 and 3200 as that's fast enough for the winny.

Good bullet choices are:
Hornady SPBT 140s
Sierra Game Kings 130 Boat Tail.
Berger 140s and 150s

Max velocities with max loads and 130/135/140 class bullets will be real close to or exceed 3200 fps.

Milk jugs were DRT @ 650 yds which is where I stopped as I transferred ownership of the rifle to my son. Now its a safe queen.:rolleyes:

I have been loading for 270's for years, very easy for deer size game at long range. by far my favorite powder is H4831sc. for bullets I went with 150 btip for accuracy and its high BC. most 270's that I have ever loaded for seem to like max or near max( 1 of minelikes it over, but always go slow and check for pressure signs on the way up) good luck!

friendlyfireisnt,
I think the .270 Win with a 26" barrel would make a great LR rig. With your velocity hovering about 3100fps there's not much in North America immune to it.
I would try the Nosler Ballistic Tip or AccuBond, Swift's Scirocco, Berger's VLD and a 130 or 140gn TSX. I wouldn't go too low on the TSX (110gn) or you'd loose the ballistic benefit of the heavier bullet.
As for powder, RL22 would be my personal first choice. I'd also try 4350/4831 (IMR & Hodgdon), Viht560 and AA3100. Depending on bullet weight, maybe some IMR7828, Retumbo or RL25.
I've always wanted a .270 Sendero but have never been able to run across one. Good luck and hope it works out good for you. JohnnyK.

I am new to the this sight, and I have a .270 Winchester that I got 23 years ago. I've been bitten by the long range bug, and I also don't know where to start. My rifle has a 22" factory barrel topped with a Redfield 6-20 X 50 scope. Thank you for starting this topic, I will be watching...and waiting excitedly.

wilderness_dreamer,

You have enough rifle and scope to get started.

Zero it at 200 or 300 yards then shoot it out 7 or 800 yds in 100 yard increments.

That will tell you a bunch. It will also generate abunch of questions.

My 270 Win was a 7x57 on a 1908 Brazilian Mauser action. A 24" Douglas premium barrel w/a 12 twist was installed in 1966. It finally quite shooting in about 2000. I called Dan Lilja and ordered the barrel. He recommended I send it to Ray Montgomery in Grand Junction CO which I did. He did a great job and inexpensively. The new barrel is 27" long but because of the tight bore gets the same velocity as the 24" barrel.

Velocity and BC are the key elements with BC being the most important.

BTW Welcome aboard.

Thanks everyone for the help. I am picking up the rifle tonight, and I will be mounting a scope in the next week or so, then on to load development.

royinidaho, thank you. I have a few questions, how would the Berger bullets work on big game...like moose? What kind of damage would I see if I choose the Berger bullets to use on preditors?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.