Stainless steel in cold temperatures.

Ankeny

I am in the process of having a rifle rebarreld. On Krieger's Web site they mention it is inadvisable to use stainless steel in cold temperatures. Just yesterday I was hunting coyotes with a stainless varmint rifle and the temperature was -16 F. That's pretty cold. What's up with stainless and cold weather?

I have not seen any ill effects of the cold on the stainless. I was just out yesterday shooting my 6mm and I shot 10 shots as fast as I could cycle the bolt and get back on target at 500 yards. It was -20 celcius up here and I felt the barrel right after and it was barely warm. The cold just lets you shoot faster without overheating the barrel.

I received an e-mail from another major barrel maker regarding Krieger's info about stainless barrels in cold temps. Let's just say the e-mail isn't very complimentary and leave it go at that.

I´ve heard that in very cold temp. it makes sense to use a non stainless action or bolt at least; barrel can be stainless with no problems at all.

Unless you are hunting in a nitrogen tank I can't imagine there is anywhere on earth you're going shooting at that is cold or hot enough to change the properties of the stainless enough to make it unsafe.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.