Stabilizing a heavy .223 bullet

Handymike

Recently I purchased a Savage Model 110 Hunter .223 from a member and am getting ready to do some range work.
My question is
How heavy a bullet can I shoot in a 1:9 twist barrel before stability becomes an issue and where, yardage wise does it become an issue.
I will initially be shooting t 200-400 yards. At this point I will be using factory ammo.
Thanks
Mike

My brother has a Savage 12 BVSS in .223. It is supposed to have a 9 twist barrel but it carefully measures out to be 8.5". With that said, it shoots very well with Sierra 69gr HPBT, Sierra 77gr HPBT and Sierra 77 TMK bullets. We shoot the rifle at 400yds and the bullets could probably shoot much farther while maintaining stability.

I've got some Hornady 80gr ELD-M bullets but just haven't had a chance to try them yet. The 80gr bullets would be pushing the stability issue IMO.

How heavy a bullet can I shoot in a 1:9 twist barrel before stability becomes an issue

It's not the weight that counts but the length of the bullet. You need to know the size of your chamber so you can find the proper seating depth also.

Cup and core bullets are shorter than solid bullets so the material makes a difference.

It matters what you will be shooting as well. Paper and steel are different from hunting animals.

:)

Look at the bullet manufacturers specs for that bullet as it will have the required twist rate. For instance I took the Federal Premium with 77 grain MatchKing from Midway. Then look up the Matchking on Sierra's site and it will tell you it needs an 8 twist barrel(sometimes you can get away with a slower twist if you are at a higher elevation).
As stated stability for shooting targets and shooting game are not the same, you will want more than the minimum for game so the bullets will perform correctly.

Recently I purchased a Savage Model 110 Hunter .223 from a member and am getting ready to do some range work.
My question is
How heavy a bullet can I shoot in a 1:9 twist barrel before stability becomes an issue and where, yardage wise does it become an issue.
I will initially be shooting t 200-400 yards. At this point I will be using factory ammo.
Thanks
Mike
image.jpg

As stated above, the length of the bullet is as/more important as far as stability than the weight. The Berger twist rate calculator has a drop down to select any their bullets so that is easy.

But if you want to use that and calculate for any other bullet, you will have to gather the require info for that specific bullet. And it can make a considerable difference between bullets. As above, the bullet manufacturers site almost always shows the BC, bullet weight, speed (can be gathered from the loaded ammo section for that bullet) etc. but often does not always include the bullet length. As I remember, Hornady does not show their bullet length on their "specs" section for those bullets.

One example of this, I have a Nosler 270 1-10 twist. It shoots the old Federal round nose 150 grain ammo in a less than 3/4" group. I am currently loading for the 150 ABLR, which is considerably longer than the round nose) and I am struggling to find that right node for it to shoot great. There are signs that it is unstable yet the ABLR box calls for 1-10 twist rate optimal. IMO, it is marginal.