Springfield 03 action

Steve M

Anybody know where to buy new bolts for these in various cartridge sizes? Thanks for your input.

Looks like a good resource for 03s. I,ve got an 03 sportered in to 7mm RM. I recently checked the bore with my new Hawkeye scope. The barrel is toast. I want to Rebarrel to a 25 06 but since the bolt is currently for 7mm I,m assuming it won,t work for the 06 cartridge. I could use some advise. Thanks

You are correct. You would need an original spec bolt to go with 25-06. Alternatively, you could use the current bolt and go with .257 Weatherby, if that suits your purposes.

Owning both a .257 Wby and a .25-06 AI, I strongly would lean someone towards the .25-06 AI... The .257 Wby brass is expensive, hard to get, and factory loaded ammo costs rediculous amounts of money. Also, I've found that my .25-06 AI is more accurate, produces the SAME velocities, costs less, and uses 10-15 grians less powder to do it.

I still like the .257 Wby, but I am not afraid to admit when something else is a better option.

I,m leaning towards the 25 06 AI. Any preferences on barrel length and twist using mostly Berger bullets?

Thats great info. Thanks very much. Any opinions on number of grooves and rifling style for a new 25 06 26" barrel w/sendero contour? Shilen doesn't seem to think much of flutting but it seems that lots of shooters get their barrels done that way. Is it just more style than function?

If I have the option, I always prefer a true 5R rifling.

And I am a big fan of fluted barrels. Alot of folks aren't, but I am.

It creates more surface area to heat up and cool down, so it helps to dissipate heat a little faster.

Some people don't believe that, but whatever... It looks cool either way. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.