Spring bear idaho

Avg bear killed here in MN is about 140lbs and our DNR notes live trapping 800lb bears and not like it's a once in a hundred years thing, there was just one that would have been over that killed illegally a year or so ago as well.

But that tends to be reality vs fantasy a lot of the time, you can sure always hold out for big regarding anything, big money gains, big bull elk, big boobed 20yr old blond that likes crazy old fat guys...

Eventually you may want to just appreciate reality though, maybe.

Oh and I just built a 458 lott and I run a 500 S&W on my chest, call me a worrier or not, I plan do die throwing a lot of noise and power at whatever kills me.

I think I keep noting I hope to do this exact hunt some day, had 3 different bears within 20 yards of me dozens of times last year right out in my backyard but it takes us 3 or 4 years to draw here. Idaho or Montana for a spring hunt sounds like a nice dream.
Idaho was not too costly either. We have a lot of bears in Georgia, and a shot at a big one, especially in the WMAs. We do not however have a Spring season. It is cheap to hunt here from out of state. The total non-resident license is $325 and there is no tag. You can kill 2 bears, so people should not wait 10 years to hunt a bear.

Planning a 2021 spring bear Idaho hunt with one other person. Were both avid backcountry hunters coming from Colorado.

Right now were planning on taking my savage HS precision in 300 win mag and my m1a SOCOM II. (I know both are heavy platforms but it's what I have)The idea is that we'll have the m1a for grizz/wolf protection in addition to our pistols/spray and we'll still be able to reach out to 1000 with the savage. While splitting the load. Also the SOCOM is solid out to 500 yds if the opportunity arises.

Thinking about the Salmon Area units 21,21a, and 20. Any advice about it is greatly appreciated.
300 win mag is plenty of gun for the bears in that area. I took a bruiser of a bear in the area you are planning to hunt. ~300# cinnamon phase with a white apron. Plan on steep terrain and using optics to save your legs. Going after every bear you see isn't possible, but do be mindful of long distance kills on these bears as a lot of terrain could find you killing a bear in some almost unretrievable areas. One night hunting we glassed 12 bears on an adjacent mountainside of all color phases. My buddy shot his bear at 467 yds and took 8 hrs round trip for retrieval. I shot my bear at 67 yds and it rolled 300 yds down the mountain. Wolves are there as we had two come across us during the night, but they were more afraid when they saw us and took off. Those areas you listed for hunting are a 2 bear area, and well worth the trip! I'm headed there in September for elk so take a couple bruins to preserve the population! Good luck and post a pic if your successful!

Looks like the snow is going to be hanging around a little longer this year.
Talked to a friend in Idaho yesterday and it looks like we will have to hold off on our planned youth season spring turkey hunt due to the roads still having to much snow and not able to access our favorite areas.

Hoping we aren't snowed out of our spot for the youth season in NE WA but going to give it a try and maybe put a camera up for bear since I know someone with the spring bear tag in this unit.

Kris

When you guys note roads having snow and not being able to access them.

Is the government actually shutting the road down, as in you can't, even, if say your truck was lifted with the correct tires/chains/whatever else, drive on them?

If the government does have them shut down, is it just to vehicles of any kind? Can a person still hike in?

I've read on this type of thing multiple times and wondered what was being meant when things like being "snowed out" of an area or road system were mentioned.

The roads I'm referring to are major logging roads that close when they get to much snow and don't open until it's mostly gone in the spring. Often times they will push the last drifts out with a cat or grader. I've driven through these spots just days after they pushed through and the snow wall was taller then my truck.
It would take several hrs to even get close to my area if walking. Yes It would be legal to take a quad or sidexside in over the snow but not an option for me.

Kris

When you guys note roads having snow and not being able to access them.

Is the government actually shutting the road down, as in you can't, even, if say your truck was lifted with the correct tires/chains/whatever else, drive on them?

If the government does have them shut down, is it just to vehicles of any kind? Can a person still hike in?

I've read on this type of thing multiple times and wondered what was being meant when things like being "snowed out" of an area or road system were mentioned.
The government doesn't have them shutdown 99% of the time from snow. It's usually because of drifts and type snow conditions that limits access. That's why SxS with tracks have become so popular.

Do you think that the roads will be clear/passible in a stock truck by 2nd week of May? I'm planning on multiple back up spots but, my main focus is about 7 miles down a MVUM road. The road follows a drainage north then switchbacks up about 2500 ft onto a ridge.

Its going to depend on the part of the state and if the topography of the area. If the rd goes through any shade area and high elevation it's quite possible to have drifts across it. If it's a rd they need access to for timer harvest or planting new trees they will have it plowed. They typically start pushing snow drifts out for planting new trees in my area about 2nd week of April.

Kris

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.