Spotting Scope- Leupold vs USO

Jh16

Please help, Spotting scope rookie.

I am looking for a new spotting scope to replace my bass pro/chinese special...

I have approximately $1000 to spend and am looking between the USO FOS and the Leupold Gold Ring 12-40 ( non-HD).

I have used a Leupold a number of years ago, but have never looked through any USO product. I like the idea of the reticle in the USO, but have found the Leupold for $800 and would then be able to get a nice tripod set up with what is left.

Will be used on steel and hunting out to 1200. All help would be MUCH appreciated!

Please help, Spotting scope rookie.

I am looking for a new spotting scope to replace my bass pro/chinese special...

I have approximately $1000 to spend and am looking between the USO FOS and the Leupold Gold Ring 12-40 ( non-HD).

I have used a Leupold a number of years ago, but have never looked through any USO product. I like the idea of the reticle in the USO, but have found the Leupold for $800 and would then be able to get a nice tripod set up with what is left.

Will be used on steel and hunting out to 1200. All help would be MUCH appreciated!

The wife and I use her Leu to scope animals at distances a LOT further that a person can shoot. Regardless of how clear a scope is or other things...whats the repair plan for a USO..? With the Leupold gold ring models its a LIFETIME replacement and the turn around is VERY fast.

Sully,
Great point. I have heard USO has a good repair policy. However, I don't know that is as no questions asked as Leupold...I looked on their website, but couldn't find any info.

Are you satisfied with the clarity of the Gold Ring?

Anyone with repair experience from USO...anyone?

I'm a fan of the US Optics Field Spotting Scope

USO_spotting_scope.jpg

US Optics Field Spotting Scope | Sin City Precision

Beau recently received his Field Spotting scope from US Optics! The team has been anticipating its arrival and looking forward to heading out to the desert with it, so things worked out perfectly with the practice session planned for the weekend. The clarity is excellent and aids in spotting bullet trace and bullet impacts on targets at distance. While there may be more powerful spotting scopes out there, if you consider cost, weight and size I think the US Optics Field Spotting Scope is the best combination of all three.

The fit and finish is excellent, and is exactly what you would expect with any US Optics product. Beau opted to have the scope done in a brown hard anodized finish instead of black, and also included a matching sunshade with ARD(Anti Reflective Device), and screw-in caps for the objective and ocular, as well as their soft-sided zip up case that has room to hold the spotter and a tripod, along with a grip-head and a rifle rest(or whatever other accessories you might like to throw in there... US Optics Field Spotting Scope | Sin City Precision

USO_spotting_scope2.jpg

looking at the specs the USO has nearly 3" of eye relief this says to me a couple things, its pretty much a rifle scope thats been turned into a spotting scope, and as a result likely has less FOV than a true spotter would. don't know, never seen one, but there are trade offs to having that much eye relief. having owned the leupold gold ring, its a great scope, stupidly I sold mine thinking I could downsize in spotter. I will be buying another as soon as funds allow.

Sully,
Great point. I have heard USO has a good repair policy. However, I don't know that is as no questions asked as Leupold...I looked on their website, but couldn't find any info.

Are you satisfied with the clarity of the Gold Ring?

Anyone with repair experience from USO...anyone?
Absolutely satisified with the clarity. As for repair...if they cant turn it right around ( on gold ring models) within ( ??..its s short time but I cant remember the exact number of days) they just flat out replace it.!

You can get a mil dot or TMR IN THE LEO,and lots of used for sale.I would like to look threw the USO. The Leo is nice and short,not to bad for packing.Any more I just use my rifle scope on the high country stuff, unless I am with a bud w/ponies.I would guess Uso is over your budget

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.