Spotting scope for the range

I shoot 6mm and 6.5 mm holes at targets 600 yards away. It takes a $3000 scope to see those holes and once the mirage starts up, it's impossible to see them. Especially on black target rings. Maybe 25 year old eyes would be able to see them, but not 68 year old eyes.
Even went with the big Kowa scope WITH the Kowa booster to something like 90X, but mirage just wipes out the image.
In ideal conditions, I can see holes through my 12-42 Nightforce Benchrest scope quite well. A friends 55X NF Comp is even better... So, maybe you just need a better rifle scope to get the job done?

PS the camera system we used is great WHEN IT WORKS, which is 50% of the time...

I agree with using a camera system for those long ranges. I have a Swarovski 20-60x80 spotting scope and find it difficult to see 30cal holes at long distances on white paper. The nice thing about some camera systems is they automatically circle/highlite the last hole shot on your tablet/ipod monitor making it easier to evaluate your shooting. They also keep track of the order of each shot so you can number shots 1-10 etc and will calculate group size, etc. The downside is you'll have to move the camera if you change the target distances. You could leave the target stationary and move your shooting position distance.
Yeah, being able to have camera at only one target range is a downside of using cameras. Good suggestion on moving shooting position. We keep youngins around to do the "step-n-fetch-it" duties......earnin' their keep and peckin' order. :) :) :)

I shoot 6mm and 6.5 mm holes at targets 600 yards away. It takes a $3000 scope to see those holes and once the mirage starts up, it's impossible to see them. Especially on black target rings. Maybe 25 year old eyes would be able to see them, but not 68 year old eyes.
Even went with the big Kowa scope WITH the Kowa booster to something like 90X, but mirage just wipes out the image.
In ideal conditions, I can see holes through my 12-42 Nightforce Benchrest scope quite well. A friends 55X NF Comp is even better... So, maybe you just need a better rifle scope to get the job done?

PS the camera system we used is great WHEN IT WORKS, which is 50% of the time...
Would care to share which camera system you use? Just as a FYI. I've had good performance with the LongShot (2mile unit, can't recall the model...their "best") and the Caldwell for shorter distance targets out to around 1150yds.

I put the sme 1 mile sniper camera in the cart. I have a dedicated shooting bench and elevated platform but I can always buzz down in a side by side to move the camera. Be better than driving down every shot group

Been using a Kowa scope since mid 80's.
Shooting CMP matches out to 600yds. with no problems!
600 is all we have at PASA Park!

Would care to share which camera system you use? Just as a FYI. I've had good performance with the LongShot (2mile unit, can't recall the model...their "best") and the Caldwell for shorter distance targets out to around 1150yds.
Bullseye by SME. Its about 5 years old.

I have heard and I believe that you should never scrimp on glass. Buy once cry once! The best advice I can give you is to look at what you want to use it for now and then look down the road and see where you are going to be. I started out with $350 bushnell Then Swarovski CTS, Vortex, Tract, and now as of this week Gunwerks Revic Acura S80, which is totally awesome. In my opinion it is the best of the best because you get 2 different eye pieces with it. One 27-55 magnification and the other with a set 22 magnification with a moa recital that you can spot your shots and get second shot hits. It does come with a price ($2500) and I know you can only buy what you can afford but if you look at what I have spent over the last 10 years, the buy once cry once theory holds true to me. Leupold has one around that $500 mark that is really good if your stuck at that price.
Just my 2 cents worth.