Spotter vs Binos for hunting

libertyman777

Which is better for glassing cut overs here in the Southeast?

If binos, what magnification?

If a spotter, is an angled or straight eyepiece better?

Thanks,

Paul

its hard say. Vortex kaibabs are suppose to be awesome for the price. I really like my spotting scope but binocular vision is far easier to look through for extended periods. You will have no problem spotting game with them but being able to judge game with them at extended range is another story.

What kind of distance are you talking about? If its under 800 yards or so, the 10x42 binocs on a tripod work fine. Beyond that, the big eye 15x binocs are great. They are great to find game and let you see if the critter deserves a closer look with a spotter or scope. If you want to count tines on a buck get a good spotter.

No matter what way you go, a good tripod is necessary to get the most from optics.

I like the straight eyepiece over the angle for the fact that it is quicker to zero in on your target since you are looking directly at it, not at a 45 degree angle.

I have read that angled eyepieces are meant more for bird watching since your scope is normally angled up towards the tree tops.

I usually hunt the same place in western Maryland year after year. It is almost exactly one mile of flat land from the truck to the viewing area. Shots are not long range -- about 250 - 500 yards is typical. I carry a set of Swaro 10-X50s SLCs and a Kowa 72 mm with a 22X WA lens. About 50 % of the deer are spotted with the binoculars and 50% are spotted with the spotting scope.

If I were in Pa where you have to be sure of the number of points on the rack then it would be spotting scope for sure.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f84/home-thanksgiving-49348/index2.html

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.