Sponsoring a Hunter

porkchop401

I am curious if y of you fellas that are blessed to live in the Rockies ever consider sponsoring (mentoring) an out of state hunters in the event that you have tagged out in an early season or did not get drawn for your preferred season or area. Not looking for a guide it is just that at making only one trip a year figuring out areas and best technique for hunting them is a slow process as I am relying on my own virtually nill high country hunting experience .
I am looking at either a CO. first or second rifle may be a third . I am liking the idea of over the counter license for mere flexibility in areas to hunt . Any thoughts are appreciated. P.S. Have no p-points

Many states closely regulate who can provide guide or outfitter services and some of the laws make it difficult for anyone to act as a "mentor" without crossing the line that defines those two classifications. Uncle Joe helping little Johnny learn to hunt doesn't present much of a problem but, in some instances, stranger to stranger services can get kind of sticky. :)

Many states closely regulate who can provide guide or outfitter services and some of the laws make it difficult for anyone to act as a "mentor" without crossing the line that defines those two classifications. Uncle Joe helping little Johnny learn to hunt doesn't present much of a problem but, in some instances, stranger to stranger services can get kind of sticky. :)
I would think there being no money changing hands being the key lacking feature . I am not looking for someone to outfit me or provide any thing other than some suggestions about the areas either I am considering hunting or ones they may suggest . If these folks were so inclined to observe my technique then so be it!
It is not that I have any thing against an outfitter , I have been on a guided bear hunt and it was a great experience , as great as it was it is more than I can spend on a regular basis.

I will help out people I like and they have to like me. I have gotten burned once but it was not a honey hole. I have even had non-residents put in and we both drew so went hunting together. Great way to meet people. There are laws here that regulate what a guide is but I am not guiding. I am establishing friendships and if we don't hunt together oh well. Nothing in the law says I can't do that.

The problem here is it is draw hunt only. We do not have preference points so it is draw or not. The problem is non-residents have only 6% of the tags. So the really good areas have 200 tags which mean non-residents get 12 and you could have over 3000 applicants for that hunt. Now if you apply with a guide or outfitter you have 20 tags but both residents and non-residents can get put in that pool.

The other thing G&F did is all cow elk hunts are resident only, they closed all the Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) to resident only. So it seems like most non-residents are going to have to buy landowner tags rather than the public draw.

So I would help you but you probably won't be coming here to hunt.

I've helped guys out from the forum a number of times if their hunting my area of MT, I won't set you up on my honey hole but I'm more than willing to point a guy in the right direction and in a couple cases just gave some out of state guys my phone number so they would have an emergency contact if they needed help. It gets me nervous some of you guys coming up here and not understanding what -20 with a 25 mph wind will do to you if you take a hike and something goes a little bit wrong!

........It gets me nervous some of you guys coming up here and not understanding what -20 with a 25 mph wind will do to you if you take a hike and something goes a little bit wrong!.........

True story! It can change into that quickly. A near perfect description of the last hunt I took in that country years ago, before global warming turned it all tropical.:D

The only positive, was by being that extreme there wasn't a debate about folding the tent and checking into a hotel.

PS, Even things going right, and shooting an animal at the truck can cost a body part.

I appreciate the response's fella's , I have made 3 elk hunts in CO. with the same folks and we pretty much park setup camp and hunt from camp and never getting away from the crowds . I have done lots of reading on the subject of back pack hunting but have been reluctant to take on this alone for mere safety reasons . This year may be the year I take on this challenge as my 17yr old is expressing interest elk season next year . I have equipped my self with most every thing necessary for this type of hunting , figuring out a strategy and developing a plan is where the big questions start to mount and when you are driving 18-20 hrs. to hunt a week it makes for some slim odds of success due to the slow learning curve. None the less I will continue !

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.