Speer Deep Curl Experiences

Mike027

Hi gang this past fall I moved up to a 180 grain bullet in my 30-06 for elk hunting in Idaho. I settled on the Speer Deep Curl. I worked up an accurate load at 2805 fps. I did not get an elk but did shoot a nice mule deer. I also used the same gun and load here in Michigan and took 2 whitetails.

In all 3 deer there was a huge amount of blood damage around the entrance and exit wounds. I mean it was a bloody mess and the worst I have ever seen. These deer were shot at distances that varied from about 80 yards out to 250.

These bullets give me great confidence as critter stoppers but I don't like to lose meat if I can help it.
Has anyone else had similar experiences With the Deep Curls? Could this be a result of the velocity?

I had really good luck with the Speer Hot Core. I thought that would be my go to bullet but they have replaced it with the Deep Curl.

Thanks for any suggestions. Mike

The rumor (!) is that the Speer Deep Curl is also known as the Federal Fusion. Given that, you may want to search under that name as well.

Oh yeah that did the trick. I also noticed a post that seemed to indicate that the deep curl is just a repackaged gold dot. I appreciate the tip. Mike

The Deep Curl has a flat base, the Fusion a boat tail base. However, since both Speer and Federal are owned by ATK you can see how they're likely closely related. Even the "molecular bonding" descriptions are the same.

Having said that I've generally had excellent success with the Fusion ammo and accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.