Speer Deepcurl Bullets

barnesuser28

Does anyone have an actual B.C on the 338 225 grain speer deepcurl bullet? speer claims it has a "bullet coefficient" of .491. there is no way that is correct. it is a flat based bullet! here is what it looks like compared to a .338 285 hornady bthp with a .720 B.C and a .338 280 grain Barnes Lrx with a .667 B.C. i know speer bullets arent very popular but maybe someone knows!

Attachments

• 818.jpg
    818.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 187
Deep curl, Full curl, Fusion.... I can't figure out which is which, but I can tell you with certainty that a 150 Fusion will flat smoke a blackbear:D wish they were more streamlined. Fusion is a great bullet, & I wouldn't need to pay big $$$ for Accubonds.
I'm guessing its a typo somewhere. Hornady has one in thier 7th edition load book for BC of a certain bullet. Weird stuff happens when ink goes to paper sometimes.

Deep curl, Full curl, Fusion.... I can't figure out which is which, but I can tell you with certainty that a 150 Fusion will flat smoke a blackbear:D wish they were more streamlined. Fusion is a great bullet, & I wouldn't need to pay big $$$ for Accubonds.
I'm guessing its a typo somewhere. Hornady has one in thier 7th edition load book for BC of a certain bullet. Weird stuff happens when ink goes to paper sometimes.

I understand Speer makes the Fushion too & both have the same bonding process, but alot of the Fusions are boattails & the Deep Curl are flat based. Some of the Fusions sure are accurate, I shot some 165 gr. in my 308 that were crazy accurate, I finally had better handloads in accuracy with A-Maxes, but it took awhile.

The fusions have good terminal performance at close to moderate ranges, havn't tried them at distance.

i know!!! i think i might e-mail them and see what they have to say.

Good luck with that one! I called a couple of those guys & they had nothing in the way of useful info concerning their BC#'s how they arrived at them or anything else on the subject. They merely wanted me off the phone.

Good luck with that one! I called a couple of those guys & they had nothing in the way of useful info concerning their BC#'s how they arrived at them or anything else on the subject. They merely wanted me off the phone.
well only time will tell. ill let you know what they say if anything at all

They also show a 120 DeepCurl .257 at .462. I have a hard time believing that. If true it would be a fantastic all round Game bullet, but I don't see how. And if true what in the world would a 120 Fusion be?

i sent them an e-mail and he said he would talk to the engineer and see if there is an error in their BC measuring system

I have had complete bullet failure with the fusion bullets. I had a 140gr. 7-08 factory load shatter on the shoulder of a 180lb. whitetail. I recovered the deer after a long track job. The bullet disintegrated on the should socket and didn't penetrate to the vitals. The deer died a slow death from hydraulic shock and small bone fragments in its left lung. I waited a little over two hours before I started to track him. If I had started sooner he would have run and I would never have found him. As it was , he made a 600yrd circle and lay down about 70 yards from where he was shot so he could watch his trail. I found him curled up like he was sleeping. I have heard from others with similar experiences. There are much better bullets at reasonable prices.

This is what I just received back from Speer, when I questioned them about the accuracy of the .462 BC of their 120 gr .257 Deep Curl.

Our BC's are an output from the chronograph when the bullets are fired across the screens and down-range. I'm told we have reported the BC based upon the chronograph reading. I've even asked if the Engineering Staff felt the output was correct, they affirm the readings.

Shoot Straight!
Coy Getman
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501
CCI/Speer Sr. Technical Coordinator
(866) 286-7436

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.