Special needs hunter help?

I would highly recommend a BogPod Deathgrip for a tripod. Will hold the gun without much effort and super stable.
Good luck to her and to you, please let us know how the season turns out. Looking forward to a hunting report!
That looks like a great system that I could set up over her while she's sitting and affordable enough that I can get it for her.

I recent met a guy who has had one leg amputated above the knee, and is in a chair. He told me.that he had recently come back from an elk hunt, I asked how he managed to do it in his chair. And he showed me something like this. They are pricey

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230507-070859.png
    Screenshot_20230507-070859.png
    256.8 KB · Views: 39
That is a great thought. Her brain issues cause a lot of balance problems sometimes.
If she has decent arm strength and control, the trekking poles are a great idea. I would have her try out some borrowed ones before investing in a pair because they are going to cost between $100 and $200. Look for sales at REI.

My wife fell in love with hunting when we first got together in 2012. Shortly after we got married she started having health problems. Very long story short she's had 6 major brain surgeries, her second shoulder replacement, and a foot surgery or two. Now at 40 years old she wants to finally shoot a big game animal. We're talking general season deer in Montana. She can walk but not real far or over real rough terrain. My season this year is going to be dedicated to making this happen for her.

What I'd like from you all is any advice from people that are or have hunted with similar hunters. Tell me about equipment that was beneficial, bipods, tripods, rests. Anything you can offer up will be appreciated.

We will only have access to public and block management land. I'm going to try and get signed up on some block management with some roads for the first few days of season but as the animals get more cagey chances of success go down. Any thoughts, techniques or advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I'm rambling.
Your a trooper , great what your doing and sure you will keep find help here.

If she has decent arm strength and control, the trekking poles are a great idea. I would have her try out some borrowed ones before investing in a pair because they are going to cost between $100 and $200. Look for sales at REI.
I agree with all of the trekking pole suggestions and have only one thing to add. If you find them cheaper than ^^^ don't buy them. The cheaper ones break, collapse at the worst time, etc. A good set of poles, if she can use them, might extend her traveling range and will definitely help her with balance issues.

My wife fell in love with hunting when we first got together in 2012. Shortly after we got married she started having health problems. Very long story short she's had 6 major brain surgeries, her second shoulder replacement, and a foot surgery or two. Now at 40 years old she wants to finally shoot a big game animal. We're talking general season deer in Montana. She can walk but not real far or over real rough terrain. My season this year is going to be dedicated to making this happen for her.

What I'd like from you all is any advice from people that are or have hunted with similar hunters. Tell me about equipment that was beneficial, bipods, tripods, rests. Anything you can offer up will be appreciated.

We will only have access to public and block management land. I'm going to try and get signed up on some block management with some roads for the first few days of season but as the animals get more cagey chances of success go down. Any thoughts, techniques or advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I'm rambling.
Definitely get a tripod and comfortable seat for her that will work together. Use a sling wrapped around the tripod leg for stability and elevation adjustment. Hold the wrapped portion with your support hand and twist to make up / down moves. The more support and control the better. Study tripod shooting techniques and practice out to 500 yards or so. Find the right spot and have fun!
20210606_162059.jpg
20210606_162140.jpg

Good luck and happy hunting!
God Bless

I have mobility issues of my own -- nothing like those of your wife, but still enough to make hiking long distances with a rifle and binociulars next to impossible. I booked a guided hunt in NV a year and a half ago and took a decent antelope using my guide's Bog Pod Death Grip. The system works well, but I discovered one thing neither the guide nor I expected: reloading.

I wanted to take a second shot after the first one, and when I worked the bolt (a little too energetically, I guess) the death grip clamp head rotated back so the rifle was vertical.

Then when I rotated it back to find the target, I couldn't spot it. Just insufficient practice with the tripod and scope -- all my own fault.

So my first bit of advice is: practice! Use the rifle with the tripod, clamp head and seat that she expects to hunt with. Don't make her hunt the first opportunity to experience the whole setup. Get her seated so she can have the rifle close to her body -- not pointing directly away from her as if she was sitting at a table with a plate in front of her.

Make sure the stool or chair she is using allows her to get close to the rifle. Have her work the action to see what the clamp head does when she pulls the bolt back. Make sure she can find her target looking through the scope. And eventually, have her shoot to make sure the scope doesn't hit her when the gun recoils. She needs to remember her shoulder is absorbing the recoil, not the tripod. All it does is hold the rifle steady as she sights and takes the shot.

BTW, it sounds like my wife has a condition similar to what you describe. My wife uses a walker in the house, and two hiking poles when we go out. She is slow, but at least she can participate in activities other than just sitting in front of the TV. Good luck! Let us now how it goes.

I'll check them out thanks.
You are to be commended on your efforts to help out a loved one to get out and to experience hunting. I too am somewhat disabled due to a serious back injury. I can walk but will not be winning any gold medals for speed, endurance or mobility, but I can still get out there. I don't use tree stands for obvious reasons, however I do use ground blinds. The only suggestion that I would like to make is to find out how you will be hunting and then practice shooting from that position. No matter what devises or equipment that you decide to use, "practice" and have her get accustomed to that equipment like she is attached to it. I use ground blinds so I practice shooting from ground blind that I made up. I did check into Montana's disability permits, they seem to have a plan in place and it looks like there are some good advantages to them as in specialized roads and the type of assistance that a companion can provide. I Googled "www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Montan+handicapped+hunting+permit" and started from there. This I would suggest that you take a look at as well. Good luck with your hunt, and please keep us posted.

OK, I have had lot of different trekking poles over the years and at 6'4" 260, most $$$ ones did not hold up worth crap. I happen to see a set in Walmart for $20 and bought to save my so called good ones for hunt while I worked out prepping for mule deer archery in Badlands. These have cam lock just like better ones. I have been using these since 2017 hunt and still going strong. They held up incredibly well in some of the worse terrain I ever hunted. Heck I use them constantly during deer season as well. So 6 years later for $20 for pair seems worth a try. I replaced the tips with cane rubber caps as they wore out and holding up.

These are what I bought in black and looks only green now.
My experience is do not buy twist lock, the cam lock is superior security to prevent pole collapse.

There are quite a few threads on this with others having same success with these trekking poles.

I have the Bog Death Grip in aluminum version, SOLID platform for 400 yd shots. Bit heavy but in your case prob a benefit. They do sell a lighter carbon version.

The NRA has a good listing of organizations for Adaptive Hunting:

I salute your efforts and you are one heck of a man and loving husband!

Last edited:
I have been using trekking poles for a few years. I have balance problems too, my left ear was damaged in Viet Nam when I got blown up, and at 74 years old that sort of comes with the territory. They work extremely well. As a hunting guide I still need to be able to go and the poles really help. I hope the poles help your wife, they sure helped me.
Best of luck.

If you ever get to -NY send me a pm!