Sparten Rifles .243 win Range Report/Family Photo

YoungEngineer89

I have been promising Marc that I would write one of these for a while so here we go. This is my first attempt at writing up a report like this so chalk any mistakes up to new-kid-itous.

RIFLE:
Specs:
Remington 700 short action .243 Win
Whiskey-III chassis by KRG
20" Krieger barrel - 1:7.5" twist - #10 Contour (cant remember 100% on the Contour, but I think that is right)
CG extreme trigger - Love these things - its my second one
US Optics 20 MOA base - I ordered a Badger, but Marc asked if he could give me this one to try, and if I didnt like it he would send me a Badger Base, But I wont be getting the badger, I love it
Badger Bolt knob

Optics:
Vortex Razor Gen-I EBR-2b
mil - mil
Badger Rings

Opinion:
All I can say is that I love this thing. My plan for this build was to have a portable hammer that I could kill some coyotes and wolves with; this fits that bill perfectly. The action is so smooth, Marc did a great job with it. Before I sent the rifle to him the action felt pretty gritty but now it's amazing. As I said above, the CG trigger is great. If you have seen my previous posts, when I received the gun in the mail I had a small issue where the firing pin would release when the bolt was closed. A quick call to Marc and CG and I had that issue taken care of, no issues since.

I have nothing bad to say about this rifle.

Today I took the rifle out with some hand loads that I put together to give it a try.

Ammo
Specs:
Brand New Win Brass
CCI #200
Retumbo Powder - I loaded 5 of each at 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, & 47 grains
115 gr Dtacs

I was crunching powder at 45, 46, and 47 grains. I figured that I would be seeing pressure signs at the upper ends of these loads.

Range Report:
When I fired the rounds I was amazed that I saw no pressure issues, no sticky bolt, no ejector swipes, no cratered primers. All of the loads other than the 44gr shot below 1MOA, but 47gr shot the best. The pic below shows the 5 round group for the 47 gr load. This group measured 0.666" outside to outside, thus 0.423" CTC. The variation in the group is all horizontal, which I attribute to myself. Needless to say I am very happy about it. I have tomorrow off and if I can convince my girlfriend to join in I will do some more load development.

ohh and here are the pictures

IMG_0154_zpsfa7a5ba5.jpg

IMG_0153_zps78669329.jpg

IMG_0152_zps6973bbee.jpg

Family Photo:
Top one is a Badger M2008 in 6.5CM
Middle is the .243
Bottom is my Remington 700 in .308

All three built by Marc, all three are hammers
IMG_0151_zps463ec44c.jpg

The Group:
IMG_0150_zps5cd86e50.jpg

Thanks for the hammer Marc!

Thanks Drew I'm glad you're happy with them all. Your 7 SAUM should be coming soon and after buying all of those I'll give you a killer deal on your Carbon/Ti hunter when it comes through too :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.