Southwest desert elk

treedagain

Looking for any Info on the southwest desert for elk. Should have a early hunt this year. With the dates of 9/17 to 9/25 it should have some good rut activity.

It's a limited entry tag,, Southwest Desert is the name of the unit

Utah, West of cedar city

Last edited:
Lots of elk that will barely make 320" , they need a gene infusion out there to get something going. Then there are a few great ones too. It's a huge unit , lots and lots of hay with only a few needles!

If you're worried about scores....
If ya want a big elk...better be prepared o eat tag soup....cause if you settle for less you are just shooting immature animals...and none will grow bigger...just the way it is...
Or
Maybe they need to put a spike requirement in the unit or 5 years to let a mass of older bulls age....

The unit has gone down hill in the last 10 years. The elk numbers are not great. Mature bulls are few. The spike tags have decimated this unit as well as the number of tags. It is not a trophy unit. I have 22 pts, live 1.5 hours away and will not spend my pts here. I know people that do and have killed good ones during wet years.

Wellll most/all units are down from last 10yrs. I have friends that have hunted the unit before and took some great bulls, a mid 350 last year, just trying to fill in the gaps. And yes the drought and major cow kills have hurt the unit.
The days of 350+ all over is dead and gone.

Last edited: