Southern Arizona Newbie

azjim

What a great site with so much info. To be honest , a lot of the advanced topics are well past my understanding. I'll try to read more and ask questions after.

I used to hunt deer in the early 80s and got away from it until recently when my 10 and 12 year old boys became obsessed with fishing, hunting and all things boys do. Kinda sparked my interest as well, being out there with them on junior hunts.

Now I have the bug to upgrade my deer rifle to one that can reach out to 500 yards. So, here I am.
Look forward to hearing from some of you and picking up on better technique and just becoming more accurate. Thx, Jim

Jim:
Welcome to LRH! Please be ready for the money to start draining out of that gigantic hole in your wallet!

Tell us about the rifle you have and where you might like to start in its 'transformation.'

Thanks for the welcome.
None of the current rifles are what I would want to build for LRH. I have a couple of 30-06 Remingtons , one pump and one semi auto. A Remington 700 in .243 cal and a 6.8 Daniel Defense ambush hunting AR.
I shoot lefty and will either buy a new rifle or something from another member. I'm leaning toward a non magnum,maybe .308 or 6.5 cm. or ??? not really sure yet. Not dead set on any particular brand of model.

My goal ( at least currently) is to have a medium size game rifle that I can consistently hit 8 inch targets at 500 yards or so. I'd like to use high grade factory or purchased ammo. Never have reloaded , (and as bad as it may sound) I'd really prefer to buy some quality ammo.

Thx Jim

Jim, welcome from Goodyear, Az. Be assured this forum will guide you in your quest for long range hunting. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.