SOUTH DAKOTA SUCKS!!!

I'm commenting on this post a few years late but I see this thread has gone on a while. I live in "Sunny South Dakota" and I've had the experience of living in CA, VA, and IA. I've driven through or flown over most of the United States at one time or several. I can say that every state or city has it's advantages and disadvantages. It's safe to say however that if you are a member of Long Range Hunting, you are most likely an "outdoorsman" to at least some extent. Save for a few who may only be here fantasizing about what it would be like to live in a place where the 2nd amendment is still a living breathing document, sportsmen are respected and places to hunt are plentiful. You want to learn how to shoot in the wind? Shoot Prairie Dogs till you puke? Dodge pheasants on your way to go bow hunting on your buddies ranch/farm? Or do you just want to leave the idiots in the City behind and see some unspoiled hunting/fishing territory and wonder what it would have been like 100 years ago? South Dakota is it brother!!! Don't get me wrong, no sissy's allowed. From -38 to 118 degrees, you better be ready for it and plan for a light wind of 5-10mph everyday minimum. 40-50mph wind and snowing isn't uncommon at all. You gotta be tough out here and plan your trips accordingly because your closest "Happy Meal" might just be something you kill and clean yourself. I hope you got back you WY safe in your red Miada. Happy New Year lol J/K :)

Also, I just have to say that I NEVER thought I'd EVER hear someone from WY making a blanket statement that some other state sucks and that their scenery wasn't entertaining enough for him. lol Sorry that I wasn't on the shoulder of I-90 dancing a jig for you as you tooled by with your cruise control set at 81mph steering with your knee while texting your World of Warcraft buddy about how cool your Moms basement is. lol Did I make my point? You're a rude person and very lucky to have waited until you were safely into Madison, WI to go off on your rant about how boring we are as a state. Next time stop out here in the Bad Lands and tell the first corn fed country boy you see your complaint about his hospitality. Until then, stay safe and have a great 2010! :)

There, I feel better!

Ya I actually noticed that and mentioned it in the first rant earlier today. lol I think I was just attempting to amuse myself since I was off all day and in between purchasing after Christmas toys for myself and researching jerky recipes. Thanks guys. Sorry you had to witness it. lol

WHAA? My Brother lives in South Dakota and will never live in Michigan or any other state
It's not so bad you can shoot an Elk every year and there are Deer every place, Hunting is fantasic! the down side? Tornados, wind all the time. forset Fires, B1 Bombers and B52 flying over your house, now lets get back to the good side if you like to fish we went to a place called Pactola
we tossed back over 100 Walleye over 8lbs in one weekend, Crappies twice the size of your hand, Pheasants, we had our limit every day we went hunting. Mule Deer White Tail Deer they had coat racks on there heads, Deer that would top 200lbs. there racks were like you would find in Saskatewan. If we broke the law we could have shot 3 to 4 Bucks every day or no less than 5 Elk. thats in one day.
No friend New Jersey SUCKS!

WHAA? My Brother lives in South Dakota and will never live in Michigan or any other state
It's not so bad you can shoot an Elk every year and there are Deer every place, Hunting is fantasic! the down side? Tornados, wind all the time. forset Fires, B1 Bombers and B52 flying over your house, now lets get back to the good side if you like to fish we went to a place called Pactola
we tossed back over 100 Walleye over 8lbs in one weekend, Crappies twice the size of your hand, Pheasants, we had our limit every day we went hunting. Mule Deer White Tail Deer they had coat racks on there heads, Deer that would top 200lbs. there racks were like you would find in Saskatewan. If we broke the law we could have shot 3 to 4 Bucks every day or no less than 5 Elk. thats in one day.
No friend New Jersey SUCKS!

:) deer with coat racks on there heads sounds like heaven to me:D

Bigbuck

KC is stretching the truth a bit. You can't get an elk tag every year. I work with a guy that applied for 21 years before he was drawn for a bull tag. Only residents can get one and a bull tag is once every 12 years max.

The hunting is fantastic, if you know where to go.

Around here we say that the only reason it's windy is because Nebraska sucks.

I'd have to agree with Jarhead. South Dakota has a lot to offer the true outdoorsman. Goiong to have trouble getting those elk tags every year though. I've been stationed and lived on both coasts. I've lived in the big cities and traveled much of the world as I have eaten my share of sand also. I settled down in SD and have worked my way out "west river" where the prairie dogs sing and so does my fat barrel. On any given day, I can drive my 4x4 to the top of a butte and set up my shooting table. From there, I have a view for miles of bad lands and prairie dog towns. The land owners just ask that I don't actually shoot in the direction of their cattle. lol Yep, several have given me directions to their pasture and when I got there I saw several hundred cattle scattered over a few square miles. Usually I can get a cell phone signal if I'm on top of a butte so after a quick call to make sure I'm in the right spot, I find out that he knew they were there and is confident that I won't shoot any of them by accident. Ha ha! Well, ok! I've had to pick my shots but I'll tell you this, what a way to spend the entire day!!! Sit on your chair and eat lunch with your short, medium and long range rifles looking out over a mile of prairie dog towns as the barrels cool down.
I'm a deputy Sheriff if I forgot to mention that. Getting permission has seemed easy and I have the privelage to scout for new spots while I'm out working. I can't actually hunt from my patrol vehicle (Ford Expedition) but I can zero my issued Bush Master anytime I want. Targets, sometimes that's a varment. There is a thin line.

Stay Safe brothers!

Sorry Guys I did not know South Dakota used a lotto for Elk tags.
But South Dakota does not Suck.
New Jursey Sucks!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.