Son harvested his '09 MT elk

Congratulations to you and to your kid!!!
What a better way to introduce someone to the sport than hunting with your kid, and succesfully harvesting an elk.

That picture is his cow from last year. He had just turned 12 a couple days before we went on the trip.

He shot his 1st deer on the first day of the hunt. After we got the deer back to camp and hung up in a tree, we headed back out and I shot the bull elk that is in the pictures. By the time we got him back to camp, that was the end of the 1st day of the trip. The next day my son got the cow in the pictures. When we went back the next day to pack her out my buddy Brian shot the his mule deer on the hike into my son's elk. His is the buck picture in the day light. By the time we got the cow and Brian's buck back to camp, that was the end of day Three. On day four, my Uncle shot his buck. That's the picture that is taken in the dark. Then we decided that we needed to get home so that we had the weekend to butcher all the meat.

My son's buck was shot at 200 yrds, his cow at 375 yrds. My bull was shot at 270. Brian's buck at 250 yrds, he used my son's rifle as it was the lightest one. We brought it along to pack out my son's cow just in case. My Uncle's buck was shot at 340 yrds.

Nothing truly long range. I think it is harder to get a long range shot than it is to get a 200 yrd shot.

It was an epic trip, to say the least. We literally spent more time packing meat than we did hunting.

My bull scores around 330, I have not had him officially scored as of yet.

My son's rifle is a Winchester model 70 re-barreled by McGowen in a 6.5-06. My Uncle is shooting a Browning White Gold Medallion 30-06. ( the most accurate bone stock rifle I have had the pleasure of shooting) And My rifle is a Sako 995 rebarreled with a 30" Lija in 30-338 Lapua improved.

Glad you all enjoyed the pictures.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts