Sometimes Ya Just Get Lucky

Varmint Hunter

Got back to the club today and was anxious to test some loads in a recently rebarreled 6.5 Creed.
I typically shoot 3 rounds of "anything" through a thoroughly cleaned barrel before I get started with my tailored handloads.

I had some Sierra130 TMK bullets left over from an old project and grabbed some RE17 that is no longer needed for my 375Ruger because I sold it. Shooting 3 rounds from a squeeky clean barrel at my 400yd target, here's what I found.

I'm not sure about the velocity. 2 out of 3 bullets did not register on the LabRadar. The 3,003 fps seems high but that's what was listed for the 3rd round.

8.5 Creed - 130 TMK.jpg

I haven't see RE17 in a coon's age, and I've been looking. Find some StaBall6.5 and have some fun, it's pixie dust in my 6.5CM.
The StaBall 6.5 works really well for me in the CM and my 22-250. I've been working up some loads for a 20 VarTarg and a 223, and I pulled out the 6.5 CM and 250 to shoot one group with each and both produced ragged holes at 100, five shots with the CM, only had four rounds for the 250. Definitely worth a try for anyone trying to find something, powder is available and even on sale right now for around $250 for 8 pounds.

Got back to the club today and was anxious to test some loads in a recently rebarreled 6.5 Creed.
I typically shoot 3 rounds of "anything" through a thoroughly cleaned barrel before I get started with my tailored handloads.

I had some Sierra130 TMK bullets left over from an old project and grabbed some RE17 that is no longer needed for my 375Ruger because I sold it. Shooting 3 rounds from a squeeky clean barrel at my 400yd target, here's what I found.

I'm not sure about the velocity. 2 out of 3 bullets did not register on the LabRadar. The 3,003 fps seems high but that's what was listed for the 3rd round.

View attachment 485799
You lucky bugger! I wish I could "accidentally" get these results.

You lucky bugger! I wish I could "accidentally" get these results.

The real trick would be repeating that group with anything close. The rifle did shoot the 140EH and the 143 ELD-X under 1.5" @ 400yds on the same day. Environmental conditions were excellant for about 2 hrs. No wind, no heat & no mirage. That was a BIG help.

I'll have to credit my gunsmith who bedded the Browning HC LR McMillan and put a new Bartlein on it. What a pleasure to shoot.