Something very WRONG with this photo.

As to the assumption that the bears feet are white......take a look at the ground it was walking on...light colored dirt.....what would your feet look like if you were walking thru that dirt....what would your boots' soles look like....do you not track mud into your house from being out in muddy terrain...
And bears do not have claws that retract....
26Reload hit the mark dead center. I too have had the chance to be up close and personal with more than a few Oregon black bear, coastal and east side. No two are the same. No, the don't retract their claws.

Will have to admit I have never seen a Griz or Brownie track. Except, maybe once, about 35 years ago in the Snake River canyon. Packing only a long bow and cedar arrows, I didn't follow it. Call me a coward, but I'm still around!

So in order to "prevent spam" and add links, I need 3 posts. Well this it it! Post #3. Done and done.

I have a question for you......when you see a bear track how do you tell if it is a Black Bear track or a Brown Bear track......???
Brown bear tracks, or was it scat, sometimes have small bells in them and smell like pepper spray. Sorry, old guide joke......

Last edited:
It is not a question of winning. It is a question of boots in the field experience as opposed to internet experts that learned everything on the internet.

I have been studying bear for about 54 years, all across Canada, Alaska and some of the lower 48 states. I have written several papers on bear behavior. I live with bears, When they are out of hibernation they live in my yard, both Brown Bears and Black Bears. I do detailed studies of bear density, and travel behavior.

Where I live there are some of the larges Brown Bears in Alaska, I have studied then all over Alaska, including Kodiak Island, and Afognak Island. I have had as many as 30 to 45 Brown Bear encounters per day, day after day after day. I have had Brown Bears come into camp and sleep right tight against the tent, several time. I have had as many as seven Brown Bears in camp at the same time. I have wacked them on the nose with gun barrel, sticks, oars, canoe paddles, and fishing rods.

I have had a huge brown bear on top of me when I had no firearm, I have had the break into my cabin when I was sleeping, I have had them wait for me outside the cabin door. I have had them follow me when I was hand broadcasting oats and barley, the follow and lick up the seeds. I have had thousands of close bear encounters, some funny and some not so funny.

I have watch several brown bears stalk me. Sometimes me and clients.

I know something about bears from living in their habitat for the last 50 years. A lot of what is stated as fact on the internet is just plain wrong. Sadly that is where the bear experts, who often have never seen a bear other then in the zoo or on TV or in a movie, pass on their flawed knowledge.

There is a saying that goes something like, "When the government is telling lies, it is dangerous to be telling the truth". There are two types of knowledge. Knowledge derived from internet or books or magazines, word of mouth, etc..

The other type on knowledge is First hand personal experience, What I call "Boots in the Field" experience.

When the masses believe what is taught them, by people who learned what they are stating as fact from the internet, and then they run quick like a bunny to a different forum, and state what they know as the truth or the way it is based on what they know and learned from the different survival forums and blogs......."In that environment it is pointless and dangerous to state what you know from first hand experience......with boots in the field.

In this "Information Age" there is a tremendous amount of information that is totally believed, everyone knows is true , common knowledge.....that is wrong to varying degrees, from totally wrong, to just a small partly inaccurate.

If there are 50 people in a discussion on a thread, stating what they think, and what they think is based on "ZERO" first hand or Boots in the field experience.......and someone enters that discussion who is old and has 50 or 60 years of first hand experience day in and day out living that subject of that thread. they will be called, "Troll" and shouted down.

The masses rule.

People without "First Hand" or Boots in the Field experience can not accept the truth, they want to believe what they have believed for a very long time. They will fight savagely to defend what they believe, even as they have zero first hand experience.

Kind's Sad.

I would have to say....a black bear is very small compared to a brown or a griz..but there is a different method to determine the animal type......its the whistle in the brown crap....

and here is a washed out coastal black....with a 2506 cartridge...just a little bear....

But you win.....it doesnt show claws.....therefore they must be "sheathed"...

AGL4now....no disrespect..sounds as if you have walked the walk...
I have never killed a bear...never had the tag when I saw them...didn't see them when I did...always wanted to get one with a bow...found that I wasnt that,fond of them when I had a buddy from college shoot one while we were elk hunting....color phased of course...not big..but old....

Scan...that pic came from a first time setup leupold rx trailcam...guy set that up to find out who was messing around in his new logging site.......about six years ago....on the Oregon coast....took three years before a friend of the guy would give me the pic....I scrutinized it hard to figure out if it was faked or real....
The way I see it...a bigfoot would have to live more on vegetation than meats...hence the gut....
But the clincher.....if you look just ahead of the front leg hair..and towards the ground really close......how many toes can you count...and the BIG TOE is very shiny and bulbous......
I have met the guy that got the pic....and his brother...loggers...outdoorsman....no need to lie....between the four in their group that grew up together since preschool...they take their kids hunting, fishing, camping, shed hunting, everything...and they still question the pic....and this group of guys went in search of another gentleman that got lost and died somewhere south of the Rogue River...never to be seen again....
These are the guys that you want as buddies....they will be there for you.......
Did they fake this pic for attention?.....answer that for yourself...

I'll not return to this thread......so you guys enjoy yourselves.
I don't know how to say this other than, you are 100% full of ****. Nothing you said is true and you should go back to Facebook.

For you guys that are not familiar with bears, do not listen to this guy. He will get you killed.

No bear retracts it's claws. Cats do. Griz have much longer claws than black bears. Black bears climb the tree after you and griz push the tree over to get you because they can't climb. Their claws are too long.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.