Someone talk me out of a 6.5mm STW

I can tell you that nobody could talk me out of my 264 STW. It is awesome on long range antelope and deer. I am shooting a .571 BC bullet 3550 fps. There are few rifles out there that can do that. Life is good.

What action is your rifle built on? Could you post a pict? How long of a barrel & what make are you using & twist to get those speeds?

WOW is all I can see

Sako action, Hart 28" barrel 1-8 twist. 130 grain swift scirroco at 3550 fps with .571 BC. The scirroco is a very good big game bullet and capable of taking elk easily with that load but I prefer something bigger for elk. This rifle is just way fun to shoot at long deer and antelope.

Or you could step up to the 6.5 Allen Mag, if you really want fast and flat, slightly shorter than STW but holds more powder.

6.5mm Allen Magnum
338 Rem Ultra Magnum parent case, necked down to 6.5mm, fireformed to min body taper and sharper shoulder angle.
168 gr ULD RBBT (still in development)
142 gr. SMK or ULD RBBT at 3450 fps with 142 gr. in 27" barrel, 3550 fps in 30" barrel lengths.
Same design purpose as 257 Allen Magnum but designed for those that prefer the larger selection of 6.5mm bullets.
Appropriate powders: same as 257 Allen Magnum

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f23/allen-mag-shooters-group-18433/index39.html

Am I reading this correctly? a 168 grain ULD RBBT in a 6.5 diameter bullet? What would the B.C. be for a bullet this heavy and long? Would the ULD be ultra low drag? The RBBT a rebated boattail?

Since this bullet is nearly 30% heavier than the heavy 6.5's that work so well at long distance you would need a really large case to push it fast enough to display its advantages at long range. What kind of velocities can be gained from such a heavy bullet in this large case? I would think windage deflection might be less than any other bullet I've heard of in this caliber.

Gene So

Am I reading this correctly? a 168 grain ULD RBBT in a 6.5 diameter bullet? What would the B.C. be for a bullet this heavy and long? Would the ULD be ultra low drag? The RBBT a rebated boattail?

Since this bullet is nearly 30% heavier than the heavy 6.5's that work so well at long distance you would need a really large case to push it fast enough to display its advantages at long range. What kind of velocities can be gained from such a heavy bullet in this large case? I would think windage deflection might be less than any other bullet I've heard of in this caliber.

Gene So

That info was from an OLD post (1-22-08), the bullet maker is no longer in business, his assets have been sold but it will probably be quite a while before the new owner gets back to the 6.5 heavy bullets.
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts